1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

"Could not create the Java virtual machine" error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stonesnake, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

I was never getting this error before I updated to 2.4 but now about 80% of the time when I try to run d20Pro I get the error "Could not create the Java virtual machine." I did a bit of searching and this error appears to have something to do with memory allocation (or not?). I am running on Windows 7, 64-bit and have 12 GB of memory. I re-installed the latest version of Java and yet I still get this error on a regular basis. And when I try to run d20Pro with 9 GB free (like I tried just now) I still get this error.

Any help on this error and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated as there doesn't appear to be much on the web on why this occurs and how to fix it. Thanks.

2. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Stonesnake,

A couple of questions so we can narrow this down:
    - what version of Java are you using and is the JRE 32 or 64 bit?
    - when you installed d20Pro v2.4, what option did you select for heap memory (the default is 512)
    - if you launch d20Pro from the d20Pro.bat file does the same behavior manifest?

3. Cullyn

Cullyn New Member

I ran in this same error and have a similar machine setup, though with *only* 8 GB of RAM. When I was using the full installer I set the memory during the installation to their highest values. Seeing that that didn't work and noticing this forum thread I installed d20Pro again over itself using the default memory settings. It seems to work now. Just wanted to give everyone an FYI.

4. Belsarius

Belsarius New Member

Thank you for posting this, it solved my problem also!

5. Olinelooo

Olinelooo New Member

I did a bit of searching and this error appears to have something to do with memory allocation (or not?). I am running on Windows 7, 64-bit and have 12 GB of memory. I re-installed the latest version of Java and yet I still get this error on a regular basis. And when I try to run d20Pro with 9 GB free (like I tried just now) I still get this error.????

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

As a general rule of thumb, you should not be setting the value to be more than 1/2 your total of ram.. That alone will solve a huge amount of headaches..