1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Space Bar not causing 'done'

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by ogexam, May 31, 2016.

1. ogexam

ogexam Member

I have noticed in version 3.5.7 and in beta 3.6.3 that sometimes the space bar will not done someone's turn in combat.

My players have noticed this, during their turn of course, and as a DM I have noticed it.

Sometimes it works great, other times I have to click on the done icon. Then spacebar will work sometimes and not others. I have not found a pattern to it.

Anybody else seeing this issue?

2. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I've been seeing this too, and found that clicking on the map, then hitting the spacebar will work. I think the problem might be with windows changing focus, because I've also been having an issue with Draw Tools opening unexpectedly when other things happe; i.e. a new user connects, etc.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

You should try the current Beta version which is 3.6.4

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Just tried 3.6.4 and it does it there as well.

It is all hot keys that stop working. once you click anywhere in d20Pro the hotkeys start working...

What I would do is get imitative started then start hitting space till it stopped working. Does not take long.

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Have you let T know about this? .. I'll send it along just to be sure he is aware...

6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for finding this one folks! I'll start digging into a solution right away. It's definitely related to focus. Some windows/modes have their own hotkeys assigned and this can cause confusion on the event listener.

I've already started untangling these behaviors but, as you know, the app has a lot going on so finding all the hot keys and key events is tricky!

That being said, I'm taking the opportunity to also create a complete master map of hot keys which we'll release as soon as it's ready! (fix first though)

- Owlbear

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

oh a master list of all the hot keys would be nice too.

Thanks for getting on this... my wife gets so annoyed when space bar stops working for her.

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So further investigation shows that the space bar function loss is caused by opening a panel (even if that panel doesn't cause a "mode" like Fog of War). Clicking on the map restores the map based key strokes. If the panel remains open, even if you click on it again, the key strokes remain functional.

Definitely an issue on initial launch of a panel. The main one which strikes me as being important for a player is the Core Dice. For general use, this isn't a problem -- open the panel, click on the map and functionality restored; however, using sub-panels results in the same issue -- grumble, grumble.

So yeah, I'm looking into how to fix this. What I hope to accomplish will be to add "standard" key strokes to all contexts. This will help to resolve some of the issues -- alternately, enabling a hover focus model as an option might also be useful. Although, I always found hover focus to be more annoying so we might skip that ;)

Anywho, this is scheduled and being worked on, however, it's slightly behind a few other issues as well.

So for now, my suggestion is to have your players setup their windows and then give the map a click. This will enable the correct behavior *most* of the time!

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay, because I can get obsessed with stuff like this... I did a bit more investigation.

The problem is pretty big. The system is designed to give each new window unique focus when it is first opened. This is to allow for "mode" specific key strokes, updates and other window specifics to operate naturally. The result is that every window individually has a call which requests focus when it's done opening. There is a master "call" but it is more of a template for how each window implements it's own call -- that is to say, the code for every window will have to be picked over to enable the space function to work.

That being said! If windows are opened by key stroke, they open through a secondary system which does not execute the focus change UNLESS the window has a context mode attached to it. So there is hope!

The negative is that implementing the change will be time consuming and cannot be "simply solved" tonight, like I was hoping -- sorry.

So this is on the short list of fixes, but will likely not be fixed when we release the next 3.6.x version.