1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

FOW/Light Reactive Markers

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Robotguy, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

It seems a bit silly to have markers that are floating out in space even when the area they're in is hidden or dark. They should have the same visibility states as creatures; Visible, Invisible, and Dynamic.

2. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I have all of my markers set to invisible until I decide to change them. Otherwise the players would be able to read all the room descriptions and DM notes.

3. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I use tokens for my room descriptions and notes and make them invisible.

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

yeah. totally agree with you on all aspects of this. It's on the short list but back seated to the rules updates.

Markers do have Visible and Invisible states.

I should be clear -- whenever I'm feeling completely overwhelmed by the complexity of the rules code I move to Markers to relieve some stress.

upload_2016-7-19_22-21-4.png

The result is the following list of changes to Markers:
    • Markers now have rotation states.
    • The Marker Menu lets you bump a Marker Left or Right by 2-degrees or rotate to a static 45-degree increment.
    • A locked Marker does not trigger Marker Mode when clicked on from the Map.
    • Markers can be resized in both width and height. Sizes are measured in grid units and support decimal values.
    • Icon Markers now support "real-time" updates to the markers.zip file (in Manually Specified directory)
    • Icon Markers pull additional marker images from a Manually Specified/markers directory which can be updated without restarting the application ("real-time"). Updates to the marker icon list is only updated when the Edit Marker window is opened. To force a refresh, close the Edit Marker window and re-open it.
    This is a rough pass on these features and current lack: keybindings for rotation; marker visibility response to token/light intersection; and tethering.
    (will be adding these features and cleaning the system up as we continue to move forward)

Edit: I should have mentioned, this is part of the patch we'll be pushing out this week with the bug fixes.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay. so did this tonight...

upload_2016-7-20_23-51-39.png

I'll be building an updated beta with this marker behavior implemented.

This update adds the ability for markers to be painted Above Creatures, Below Creatures or Below Fog of War.

Attached Files:

6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Just tested and released an update to the current beta -- so the new beta is 3.6.6.5. Check out the Announcements for details on acquiring it!

7. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

Awesome. Sounds like it's about time to upgrade from 3.6.5! I am looking forward to not answering "What was in this room again?"