1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Word of mouth...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robotguy, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I've been an avid supporter of D20Pro for a while now and I always try to get the word out whenever I can. The bigger the user base is, the better the software can be, right?. Is there anything we, as customers can do to help promote D20Pro? Maybe we can come up with a digital "sticker" we can add to social media posts about our games, something like "Played on D20Pro!"

The one suggestion I have is, if you're looking for a game, post on /r/lfg and put [D20Pro] in the title. FG and Roll20 are getting the lion's share of attention there <opinion>and, honestly, I think they're inferior products (plus I can't stand the subscription model)</opinion>.

Tay-Dor likes this.
  2. Ken L

Ken L Member

Each platform has their strengths (I own all 3 and had a r20 'pro' sub for 2 years). D20pro's strength is in-person play as well as their LOD. FG's LOD is horrible as it's single-threaded causing the whole program to freeze when pushing content to players.

The main weakness in d20pro imho is the same as FG's compared to r20's which is connection issues. If there was some kind of hand-shake/super-node server that allowed seamless connections as opposed to requiring port-forwarding.

Think... of don't starve's multiplayer model.

Another weakness is the UI which is dated and a bit clunky to figure out where all your tools are as well as what they do. As a software dev, I'd suggest the FIT principle in user interfaces where everything you need is attached to a screen edge. I'd imagine 'dockable' windows that can snap to edges and combine with other tools on that edge etc... Photoshop and the eclipse IDE have this in spades. The tabletop should focus on the map which is what I love about d20pro compared to FG, but with all the floating windows I find myself minimizing and closing/opening a large array of them. The simple ability to mouse to an edge, have a drawer slide out with my stuff in it, would be a great value-add. The dockable interface would aid further if I wish to pop-out a dockable and maybe move it to the top edge or more to customize my interface.

As for promoting D20pro, it's difficult when you're competing with a freemium, drop-and-play service on one end, and another platform that has a long history with a large array of features. I'm not sure how D20pro can find a home between these two mediums.

D20Pro's strength as I said above is in-person play if you have a touch-screen TV, the other platforms don't have promised support as D20Pro does. At the same time, touch-screen play is cost prohibitive making it a niche market.

#2 Ken L, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  3. Whirlingdervish

I have never had a connectivity issue due to the program itself and i have players remoting in from 3 different time zones and have had people deployed in the middle east remote in.