1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Simple Dynamic light

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Ken L, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Ken L

Ken L Member

I wish there was an option where you could denote a mask polygon as a wall polygon as well. This would allow us to simply draw along the walls of buildings and call it a day rather than double-drawing both the walls as well as the interiors.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

hello Ken, not entirely sure I am following what you are getting at.. but, an Open wall does doubleback on itself (double sided) so only one wall is needed and servers to block light for both internal and external situations..

3. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I think he might want a situation where you draw walls to enclose an area and it auto generates a mask within the enclosed area?

4. Ken L

Ken L Member

That's pretty much what I was suggesting Tay. DL only works when within a mask. Since a polygon closed wall is already an enclosed space; why not just have a unified wall/mask that can perform both functions on a single region as opposed to two?

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You should really think of a 'Closed Wall' as a solid object. Tho the idea of auto masking joined walls is an interesting one...

6. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

You wouldn't really want to enclose a room with a wall since you need to leave a open space for the doors.

Might be nice if you could click in an area bounded by walls and it filled in a mask. Sorta like the paint bucket fill tool in any graphics program. The other side would be the "wall"

Also makes me think it might be easier to merge edges and walls into one tool since they seem to do the same thing....stop light.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Edges are for free standing elements such as columns or the like.. They function slightly differently than walls, and that will become more clear once some more work is done to them.

8. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Tay, the big difference between walls and edges is that edges were intended to allow light through in one direction but not out. This feature had to be cut because of a Java light bleed problem where the lines turned. The same problem has shown up with doors too. Java for some reason can't figure out that just because we turned a corner it doesn't mean that we want a single open pixel that will allow light bleed. Mage Hand, the next iteration of d20 won't use Java so this will not be a problem.