1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Error with Herolabs Import

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Caraldur, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

I'm getting a error when I try to import a herolab custom output file into D20pro ver. 3.6.7.7

ImportError.jpg

My work around is to import the file into an older version of D20pro and then export the creature. This file can be imported into ver. 3.6.7.7 without an issue.

-Fred

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Thank ou for the feedback...

I doubt the beta build has been tested with HL importing at this time. I am sure it will be looked at prior to the non Beta Public Release. I am sure focus is on core bugs at this time.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Actually, in the release notes I commented on how Imports from herolab and pcgen are not working yet. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll see if i can't get the plugins built for you early this week (the intent is to launch with everything mid - to - late next week).

4. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

No problem. I didn't notice the comment in the release notes. Just wanted to let someone know, so it didn't slip through the cracks.

-Fred

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, and definitely keep the reports coming.

I wasn't trying to admonish or "RTFM" anyone there. Just pointing out that I know it's borked and share your sadness -- also that it is on our plate to fix !

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

<chuckle> I felt all 90s for minute "RTFM" <snicker> :p

7. flyteach

flyteach New Member

I DO NOT have the beta version. I updated to version 3.6.8 from 3.6.6 and the import from Hero Lab is broken, same error as shown in the picture by the OP. While I understand things not working in beta, but 3.6.8 is released (at least I downloaded from the regular site download area) and this is broken. Now, a weekend of fun for the holiday has been made rather messy. Hope there's a fix soon.

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you install over the old version? You may have two sets of importers in your judge/addon/creature folder.

If you have a D20PRO_<thing>, remove that one and just keep the HeroLab.jar. Just to be safe, I'm including the 3.6.9 (todays release) version here as well.

Keep in mind also, that we're working to migrate away from the custom importer which this is still using, and to the standard xml format that Lone Wolf would like to use going forward.

the zip contains:

FourE.jar
    HeroLab.jar
    PCGen.jar

These are the newest builds of the importers. The previous editions which were all prefixed with D20PRO_ can be moved out of the path if you want to keep them around for reference/restore purposes.

Attached Files:

9. flyteach

flyteach New Member

Thanks owlbear. I'll try it. To be frank, I haven't really figured out what the update process is supposed to be. It's always scary to me (as a computer professional) to be copying executables and binaries around, especially when overwriting where the campaign data is also stored and hoping that things don't go crash in the night. In this case, all I did was copy the .jar file from the new folder into the old install folder and it's been working (although, I may get errors). And now that I see your info above, the old importer may not e compatible with the new version?
    I may just use the workaround for this weekend to keep gaming interruptions to a minimum. Later next week when I have some time, I'll try to do an install and copy campaign info or something.
    Flyteach

miniaturepeddler likes this.
  10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

The installer doesn't write to the campaign folder. that should be helpful :)

What I tend to do is make a copy of my <d20pro folder>/judge/campaigns folder. This is where all of your personal data is stored. Everything else is fair game during an update!

Humorously, the bug you encountered was caused specifically because we don't delete anything during install unless we absolutely must (i.e. have a replacement file). If we did, the older importer would have been blown away :)

11. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Just wanted to chime in that I recently updated to 3.6.9 and have been experiencing the same problem with trying to import a PCGen file. But it sounds like you are already on this. Oddly enough, I tried importing the same character file to the 3.6.6 version that I have on another computer and it failed to recognize the file as well. This is particularly strange in that last week I was able to import PCGen xml files to 3.6.6. Any ideas?

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I suspect PCgen suffers the same as HL as noted above by Owlbear.
    I'd suggest following those instructions, grabbing the zip.
    The PCgen jar is in that zip, I just looked... and see if that fixes it up...

13. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Followed Owlbear's instructions, it helped remove the double entries of Pc Gen for importing; however, I am still unable to import the character file to d20pro. I assume that is the bug you all hope to fix soon.

14. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Been fiddling around with it a bit more. I found out that the problem I was having importing was due to exporting the PcGen file before saving it. Once I save first, then export the character to an xml file, I am able to import it into both 3.6.6 and 3.6.9

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

good to hear..

16. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

ok, I'm having trouble again importing a character from PcGen. I received two characters from one of my players and they imported fine. However, my second player sent me two characters as well and neither of them will import. I tried creating a character myself, and I too am not having success importing my character. I get the following error message when I try:

This plugin is invalid. Please recompile it using the latest API and try again.
    Caused by: Unexpected exception
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException.

Any ideas? this must work as my one friend had no issues creating characters to import.

17. miniaturepeddler

miniaturepeddler New Member

Yay it works!!

18. wigwam

wigwam New Member

I just can't get this to work at all. i have been trying for days and it's dribing me nuts. Brand new to d20Pro by the way.
    I get different errors all the time!
    What is the PCGen ruleset I should be using, and what is the export template I should select.
    (Running on a mac - which is blocking the D20PRO.app file but alowing me to run the data/D20PRo.jar file ...)
    I'm about to think the $50 i paid the other day is a waste of money .... sorry, but that's mu frustration talkong atm.

19. wigwam

wigwam New Member

Just tried out a default PCGen character (Code Monkey) and it's okay. :) So it must be something wrong with the half-orc Burzag!

Attached Files:

20. wigwam

wigwam New Member

The Code Monkey file uses SRD 3 and Burzag uses Pathfinder data sets in PCGen - is this the difference?
    I'm very confused!