1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

'Ping' feature

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Mickey, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Mickey

Mickey Member

I'm not sure if this has already been requested. I couldn't see any posts about it.

So, I'd like to request a 'ping' feature. Something like: hold the mouse button down on an area of the map and it pings that area so that the players can see it briefly on their screens. This would be useful for situations like, "You hear a sound coming from over here." The GM then holds the mouse button down where the sound is coming from and the players can see it briefly highlighted in some way.

Cheers

2. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

So when then ping I'm assuming that it would produce a ripple effect on the player map so that even if they haven't explored it yet they could see it?

3. Mickey

Mickey Member

That's exactly what I'm thinking, yes.

Bloodwolf likes this.
  4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Kind of like what Guild Wars I or II had... Interesting idea, thank you... I'll send it up the chain...

5. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Hey Krilion_GD I just had an idea to add to this.

We can add wave files for sound effects right? How about being able to add sound effect source locations to the map? So that when a sound is triggered a visual indicator is shown on the map, even if the area of the map hasn't been explored yet.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

The wav file that control the sound effects are currently 'client side', I'll mention it to T (Owlbear) and ask about Host initiated and located sound sources.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I use Map Markers for this...
    (this can be done both by the GM and Players who either created their own or given ownership)

MapMarkersAsPointersV2.gif

This can help you narrate or help players select where to go next (for an overland map), etc.
    Each time I let go of the mouse button the marker updates on the Player's side.

8. Mickey

Mickey Member

I'm requesting it more for the purpose of doing it on the fly. e.g. player asks "Where did that arrow, that whizzed past my head, come from?" GM says "It came roughly from about here" and pings the area he's talking about.

9. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

For those situations, I put down a 5x5 template to show where its coming from. But I like your idea.

10. Ken L

Ken L Member

This has be desirable in many occasions.

"Where's that thing you mentioned?"

Creating then deleting a marker is a bit of a hassle at times when you want to simply click and say "hey, it's here".

11. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Other fun thing with a ping, you can hit it when you describe the noise. If the players don't notice you hitting the ping at the time, well then they failed their perception checks. ;)

12. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm thinking we could use the "focus" animation like this.

ping.gif

Only it wouldn't need to be attached to a creature. As to audio triggers, this is in the works. We just added "invisible" templates to the Feature Library code today so now we can have trigger areas which the players cannot see, however, they still produce the trigger events of on-enter, on-stay, and on-exit!

As to the question about sharing additional files, we're working on that as well! We're looking to replace the shared .zip file structure for status icons and markers with a folder structure. when this is done, we should be able to apply it to audio files as well.

kimco likes this.
  13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

that would be awesome!

14. Mickey

Mickey Member

That's brilliant! Pretty much EXACTLY what I was imagining, when I suggested it. Great stuff!