1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

How to invite players to your game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Devil Dog, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

You also need to "broadcast" the game (that's the radar wave button next to the big D20 button at the top left of the screen) to resend the game state to the players when putting new things on the map.

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, which version are you running. If you've got a GM view with colored regions, then you're running the release edition which can bog down due to alpha blending issues for Fog of War regions -- if not, then you're likely running the beta and that's not the culprit.

For the spear icon, there is a chance they were not seeing it because the resources were not synced. How did you add the spear icon to the game?
    Also, did you push an update to the players after you dropped the icon on the map? If no one has moved, and a GM drops items and/or creatures on the map, the players won't get an update. this can be handy for dropping in a few new things.

Finally items, like creatures can have variable visibility. Right now there's no clean way to get into "item" mode to toggle the visibility of an item. My suggestion is to use "Dynamic" as much as possible.

To toggle the visibility mode of an item or set of items, select it/all and right click on an item to get the context menu. Select Visibility->Dynamic.

for creatures, visibility is a little deeper: context menu is Alter->Visibility->Dynamic.

When set to Dynamic a creature or item will only be visible while it's in either a passive revealed FoW region or inside of a light source.

3. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

I'm experiencing connectivity issues once again. I recently switched my internet service provider to AT&T. My previous router/modem was not compatible with their system, so they gave me one of theirs to use. It is a Pace 5268AC. There is also an issue with AT&T that they have a dynamic local IP address.
    This is what I have done so far:
    Screenshot (21).png

Under 'select computer' I have chosen the static IP address: 192.168.1.254. Under 'enter IP address" it defaulted to this number. When I try to replace it with another IP# by selecting 'choose' it kicks me out and defaults back to the top choice. Then I went down to "add a new user defined application" as D20Pro was not on their list. This gave me the following screen:

Screenshot (20).png

For "protocol" I selected TCP (you are not allowed to select both). Added the default port for D20Pro: 10101. Left 'Protocol Timeout' and 'Map to Host' blank. Then for application type, selected from menu DirectX Game (the other selections were FTP; H.323-based internet telephony; IRC; PPTP; SIP-based internet telephony). I selected 'add to list' and I was then able to add D20Pro as shown in the previous screen shot.

I have yet to test this out with a remote party, but plan to do so later tonight. My confusion is the following. Within D20Pro, when I select 'Get IP Address' if gives me a local IP of 192.168.1.68; The static IP from AT&T's router is 192.168.1.254. My public IP checks when comparing D20Pros address with 'check my IP' in a web browser. What IP should I be giving out to players? And should I be using the static IP or simply select the computer I am using?

I'll update this soon, but I am guessing that I will be facing some issues when I test the connection with my remote party.

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

254 is the IP address of the router itself.
    68 is the IP address of the machine you are on inside your LAN (local area network).
    You'll most like want to hard-set the 68 IP on your machine. Then on the router you'll forward to that LAN IP.

5. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Sounds good. How do I do this? How do I hard-set the 68 on my machine and then how do I forward from my router to that LAN IP? As reflected in the screen shots above, the AT&T router is not user friendly.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

you should be able to find instructions for that in the modem/routers documentation. I suspect it's under that 'Lan' tab. but each modem/router is different so it's hard to give you specifics without a bit of research on the modem/router.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

8. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

Krillion, I just want to say thank you for all of the support you are giving to this platform. I am reading your posts on a variety of topics and really appreciate the info.
    Mickey

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

@Krilion_GD is awesome. We would be lost without 'em!!

Tay-Dor likes this.
  10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Thank you both, very much

11. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Yup...Kril's pretty awesomw at times. :)