1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Token names

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ncassella, Nov 27, 2016.

1. ncassella

ncassella Member

Wondering if hiding the token names from players has come up before.

Right now during prep, I pull my creatures from the library, drop them on the map, open the edit menu remove their name, put that name into the label area and set it to judge only.

I do this because I don't want my players to know they are facing a drow Nobel until they get into combat, and once they discovered they could hover over the creatures and get some data the "reveal" kinda lost its punch.

My process works but is very time consuming if I have a lot of different creatures on the map. It'd be cool if there were a feature that lets the GM hide the name field from players. I don't know how useful I'd be to anyone else but I'd dig it.

Tay-Dor and Bloodwolf like this.
  2. Dragonmaster13

That would be very useful.

3. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

For all of my inputted tokens I put a "description" in the notes and after pulling them into the map I replace their name with the description so that the party had to guess what they are facing by the description.

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

You can also use the Team allocation 'Unknown' which will hide the token name and token image.

Bloodwolf likes this.
  5. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

The only thing I can see wrong with that is the party should still be able to see what the creature looks like so hiding the name is good but the image should stay. In my opinion.

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

yeah, I brought that up when talking about it this evening.. maybe have a GM options toggle as to whether or not to show the image or not when Team == unknown.

Bloodwolf likes this.
  7. ncassella

ncassella Member

That would be great. I had a situation where they were fighting gnolls the other night and I forgot to change a name and then just started hammering on the gnoll cleric. The meta-gaming little creeps didn't even let me get a spell off :(

8. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

My guys haven't figured out the team colors yet. LOL

They do notice that different tokens have different images. And sometimes go after the ones with different pics. One of these times I'm going to put a ringer in the "regular" group. (insert evil laugh)

But either way what I would like to see is on the main edit screen have two lines: 1. The token name. 2. The token description. And then have check boxes to indicate which one will show to the players. Maybe the name above and description below.

9. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Yah...I got sneaky on one of my encounters. It was a Wereboar and some regular boars. So I gave the wear boar the same name and picture as the other boars. I added a Judge only comment so I';d know which was which.

Later on I had an encounter with a Yochlol and a Drider. Of course the Yochlol was in Drider form, so...same pic and name again.

Bloodwolf likes this.
  10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Kril and I were chatting about this and think solution we're going to implement is as follows:

under the GM Right click menu we'll add a Token Details roll-out with two (maybe three) check boxes:

1. Image
    2. Label
    3. Mini-view (if possible)

This would work independent of Visibility and Team -- eventually allowing us to have the Unknown team auto set these flags.

Thoughts?

11. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Sounds like it would work, but I would like to have check boxes on the Edit screen too because a lot of the time I pull a generic monster from the library and then have to edit it anyway. Would be nice to be able to handle both in one place.

I'm also not seeing where hiding the image makes much sense. If the party can see the monster then they should be able to see the image if they can't see it then the token should be invisible. The only time that I can think this would not be the case is if the party can see movement but not see what is moving because of lighting or fog. That being the case the image should probably be set to default on and the label be set to default off. Or maybe be able to control that in options.

At some point having two, or more, token images for a token and being able to control which is showing would be a nice feature. For shapeshifting creatures.

kinwolf likes this.
  12. ncassella

ncassella Member

I agree, the functionality being o. The edit screen would be much more helpful, especially when you are building encounters. I think the image check box would be great if you could maybe have it swap the image, in the case of a werewolf from human to wolf or hybrid and the check box can call another image...that would be pretty rad.

13. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Image swapping is another can of worms that we're working on. The current "hidden" token isn't actually an image, it's a vector. I tend to agree with you about the "if you can see it, you can see it" concept, however, I'm reticent to remove something that folks might be using.

I'll look into adding toggles in the edit pane as well. We're nearly at a point in our current work that I'll be able to get back to some of these feature requests and start adding them in.