1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Doors only need 2 points

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ncassella, Dec 5, 2016.

1. ncassella

ncassella Member

I'm sure this has to do with the shadowcasting being polygon based. but for the love of god look at what I have to do tonight.
    Too many points on a door.JPG
    And that's just the first level of Crove's Asylum from Carrion Hill, the second level has almost 60 doors.

Is there a better way to do this that i'm missing or can there be a way to make doors only require 2 points?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I'd use the Door shape.. it's square and you just plunnk it down..

3. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Go to the paint tab and you'll see a vertical and horizontal door shape you can put down on your map. Once placed, you can resize it however you want.
    Paintdoor.png doorss.png

4. ncassella

ncassella Member

The point is the resizing takes time. In a lot of cases the doors on preprinted maps fall between grid squares making it super easy to drop a single line down and be done. I do the triangle and "close" it to a solid line after I drop them all in.

If I were to use the paint feature I would need to edit 2 additional points, with the method I use I only edit one point. It's still bothersome, especially when doing something like this.

5. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Once you place and resize one of the doors, you can duplicate it (in the manipulate tab) as many times as you need and place the copies.
    duplicate.png

Functionally works just like the "clone" option for map tiles and tokens.

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

It has more to do with being able to click on it, to change it's state. For that to work, it has to have volume, hence a min of 3 points. If you make the volume too small, you'll find it is a pain to actually select and manipulate the doors state. 4 point squares are the easiest and most uniform for the most people, but you are of course free to do it however best suits you.

7. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

You can also make the painted doors pretty thin...and still clickable.
    thindoors.png

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

For a map like that I tend to make a palette of doors of the sizes I think I need then use the 'D' hot key to duplicate them. This lets me just drag them into place rather than have to redraw them each time.

Also if there's 5 types of doors, I only have to draw 5 doors.

I also use hourglass shapes for door sometimes, this has the advantage that I've got some chunky bits to click on and thin bits for the players to see things through.

I really wish our inverted door system had worked as intended -- then light would pass into the object illuminating the art but stopping vision from passing through.

well, eventually we'll have that when this KS is done.

Bloodwolf likes this.
  9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, and in an ideal world, we'd have made doors a tool which had a "thickness" and you clicked two points and it drew a thick object between those points with the specified thickness.

One of the UI pass chances we have planned is to move into a tool system which and away from the crazy panels. When this happens we'll have the UI required to do this kind of cool optimization!

Bloodwolf and Wesley Gorby like this.
  10. ncassella

ncassella Member

Thanks for suggestions and pointers (because clearly I didn't read anything in the directions)

The UI switch would be rad and I can't wait to see it.

Going forward I'll try the "D" when I have a ton of doors.