1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Into the Pale Tower

Discussion in 'Marketplace Content' started by Devil Dog, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

I recently purchased Into the Pale Tower and am experiencing issues with the pdf. When I access the pdf in D20Pro a number of the pages are coming up blank (actually the page number appears at the bottom but there is no text or images). Also, they are taking about five times as long to load than is typical.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Usually with PDFs that is a memory issue. I see it sometimes when loading very large PDFs. So, if you have a lot of things open on your system + d20pro + d20pro pdf viewer, things can start buffering and running low on resources very quickly.

I'll pass along the msg and see if we can look at the util under very low resources, and see if they can optimize that somewhat.

If it is a persistent problem for you, could you post a memory allocation dump of your system (while it's happening) for us to look at?

3. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Can do, I think? What is a memory allocation dump?
    I do not have any other programs running when attempting to use D20Pro to read the pdf file, so that is not the issue. Also, in the past, I have downloaded a few other modules and never had this problem in viewing their pdfs, so it is not an issue with my computer or internet connection.
    Lastly, I re-downloaded the module a 2nd time, in the event that something interfered with the first download, yet there has been no change.

I've waited as long as five minutes for the blank pages to fully load, and they have not done so. I'm attaching a screen shot of what comes up in these circumstances. Screenshot (24).png

Anybody else who purchased this module experiencing similar problems?

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

just to chime in. I'm working on a solution. Will ping back shortly!

(and yes, a new PDF reader is in the works :p)

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So the issue is actually embedded in the PDF. The vendor had literally every background embedded in every page (thus the crazy load times and confused layers).

Initially I was attempting to just flatten the PDF since text selection isn't supported in the reader right now anyway... but the quality suffered.

upload_2016-12-21_11-34-36.png

zoomed at 2x in the D20PRO PDF reader.

The blur is due to the compression.

Finally, I was able to just edit their PDF and extract all the background layers (one page at a time) until we now have the following:

upload_2016-12-21_11-49-12.png

at 2x zoom. Much better.

I've updated the adventure in the Marketplace so downloads will now come with the background-free version of the PDF.

Hope this helps!

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Thanks T. You got here before I could msg you. you working on your psychic skill? :)

7. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Great customer service as always. You guys are a pleasure to do business with. Happy Holidays!

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Happy Holidays to you as well -- glad to assist!

9. Whirlingdervish

So do you import the pdf directly into your campaign or can you call it from a different directory?

10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

It's accessible directly in the campaign at the moment. I'm working on an updated PDF viewer which will offer you the ability to server the PDF to another local location via a browser.

Once that's integrated, we'll have vastly improved PDF support, bookmarking, search, and lots lots more fun features.

11. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Got another bug to report concerning Into the Pale Tower. The map is absent for the sidequest "The Three Gigas." The mud elementals are in the library but not the skeletons.

12. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Got another having to do with the module itself, not its conversion into D20Pro. For the side adventure "The Huntsmen's Lodge" The module (p. 34) states that there are three fel sprites in Hrodur's cabin that comprise a second encounter. However, following the description of the encounter with Hrodur, there is no description for this encounter or for the fel sprites stats and combat tactics. Needless to say, the fel sprites are not on the map or provided in the creature library.

13. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I pinged the content devs to address these issues. Soon as we have an update, we'll post back to the forums.

Thanks for calling these out!

14. Sandman

Sandman Marketplace Admin
    Staff Member

Greetings Devil Dog,

Thank you for bringing this to Mesa Mundi’s attention. Apologizes for your issues with the adventure: Into the Pale Tower.

You are correct in that two creatures are missing from the creature library. The Fel Sprites and Skeletons have been added to the creature library and are now available for download. As far as the map for the encounter "The Three Gigas” the adventure PDF does not provide a map for this encounter. There is a free product in the D20PRO Classic Marketplace, Campsites vol 1 available here: http://marketplace.d20pro.com/MarketplaceProductDetail.php?inApp=0&productId=261 that has some maps that would be suitable for this encounter. The adventure also does not provide any stats or tactics for the Fel Sprites( I believe that the author’s intention was that the encounter is with Hrodur and not the sprites, however this is just an opinion). The Fel Sprites have been added to the Hunting Lodge map. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your use and support of D20PRO!

Peace,
    Sandman