1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

New Videos (I would like your input) - Response Form

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edwardcd, Aug 23, 2016.

1. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello everyone!

I'd like to collect everyone's opinion about the following topics about D20PRO:
    1. What feature(s) do you use the most to make your GM or Playing easier/faster/better/etc. ?
    2. What type of content you would like to see on a production video of D20PRO.
    Please note: some of these videos are down the line, and also these videos do not have a time limit (previous videos that I produced had a time limit where I had to fit lots and lots of content in about 4 minutes which made me speak really really fast on some portions of content, :) ).

Videos Requested so far... (as of 14 November 2016)

• Step by step workflow on how to setup maps, fog of war regions/shadowcasting/lighting
    • Differences between Masks, Walls, Edges, and Lights. (and when best to use each)
    • Differences between Easy Fog of War, Advanced Fog of War (polygons), and shadowcasting/lighting options. (and when best to use each)
    • How to launch, setup game, and have players connect
    • Feature Library (once released)
    • Creating your first adventure in D20PRO ... how to add maps, creatures, build out a campaign.
    • Exporting and sharing with the community.

#1 edwardcd, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  2. Robert Trifts

Robert Trifts New Member

Map setup and lighting, step by step with workflow would appear to be a necessary video, no matter the system or purpose to which the program is being put. There is a feature preview/discussion on Youtube, but this is not the same thing as a workflow & walkthrough tutorial.

3. dalatwest

dalatwest New Member

This. Especially the interaction between masks, walls, edges and lights. The current video is somewhat helpful, but still has stuff relating to the normals which is no longer necessary (correct?)

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Walk through a-z "How do I launch and setup my game so people can connect to me?" .. I must answer this and have to look up someones router info at least once a week... though admittedly, it's convoluted with various security suites, firewalls, routers and modems all playing a part in keeping the outside world.. well, out of your pc ...

5. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I second the lighting instructional video. That would help people.

I would think a features video will be handy when the Feature Library is release.

6. PastorOfMuppets

PastorOfMuppets New Member

Man...where to start.

It would be great to have the basics covered - adding in maps and creatures, leading to creating your first adventure, into how to build it out into a campaign arc or a full campaign.

It would be good to cover how to export and share this stuff with the community once it's done also.

7. kinwolf

kinwolf Member

Definitively an updated video for the advanced fog of war with shadowcasting. I'm almost certain I'm not using it correctly! Like, I have maps that for an underground adventure, and I'm wondering if zones are really necessary now in such maps or if I should let the shadowcasting do it's job with just lightsource on pc. Also not sure how to best deal with players low-light vision. Should I give a 30' lightsource to such players?

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Great feedback so far... keep them coming :)

As of today, I've updated the Original Post to reflect all topics discussed until now.

9. Mr.GfCs

Mr.GfCs New Member

With all the changes that I see in doing the lighting, walls and stuff in making the map see-able for player, a specific updated video on that would be great. YouTube allows for longer video's now than it did before, so you shouldn't have to rush through it.
    As to the setup of the router, my younger brother had to help me with mine. We found that we were able to discover how the open-port setup had to be done, by looking at the port-forwarding for the default games that pretty much every router has pre-installed. Some require any-then port, some routers are the opposite. All they need to do is look at the games already setup.
    As to sharing with the community, allowing monster cards-decks to be exported with a pic and all the information needed to be ready to use, would be great. (If it's not already in.)

10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all, a couple of quick notes -- we recently brought on some help to the D20PRO team to address the networking issues. We'll have a new, non-TCP/IP method for hosting and joining games in the fairly near future.

and as to a quick run-down on fog of war, I created a (albeit not as good as @edwardcd ) video which can be seen here:

this covers the basics for masks, walls, doors and edges as well as a quick look at easy fog of war, however, I've got a cold, so I'm a bit sniffly and congested.

Hope it helps!

Tay-Dor likes this.
  11. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Good video, its got some infor I didn't know and will be a big help. :)

12. BenMitchell1979

BenMitchell1979 New Member

I'd love to see a comprehensive Video Tutorial on how to build maps in D20pro using the Marketplace Tiles and Tokens. Also maybe a brief on using Syrinscape (for those that have not used it - terrific product).

13. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Syrinscape...already have one of those :)

And some of the earlier videos have marketplace tiles building out a dungeon (it's time lapsed a bit)... though I will be doing another video on marketplace stuff, where to find and use tokens and tiles in D20PRO once you import the graphic assets, etc. Good input :)

14. cranerat

cranerat Member

What feature(s) do you use the most to make your GM or Playing easier/faster/better/etc. ?

a. Clone/Copy creature - I'd like to be able to set creature parameters (Add/Remove from initiative, Visible/Invisible) from the library interface by right-clicking on the creature and not just from the creature on the map from right clicking.

What type of content you would like to see on a production video of D20PRO.
    a. Details of how to use the Game Tools and Draw Tools more effectively. There are parameters and selections in those tabs I still don't understand how to use.

Lonewolf147 likes this.