1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making software

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by heruca, Jan 21, 2017.

1. heruca

heruca Member

Hi folks. I am going to be creating cross-platform map-making software (for Windows and macOS), suitable for creating both for print-resolution maps and lower-res maps suitable for use with virtual tabletop software. The program will be sort of a spiritual successor to Dundjinni, but with a greater focus on stitching maps together from pre-existing map tiles and then customizing the resulting map (with additional decorations, etc.) to suit the GM's particular needs.

The program should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and to those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps to visually enrich their RPG sessions, but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive.

In late January or early February 2017, I'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign to try to fund the program's development. The software will be priced to be very accessible/affordable, likely in the $20-$25 range (at least during the Kickstarter campaign).

I'm trying to gauge public interest in this, so please let me know if such software would be of interest to you.

Harlequin1975 likes this.
  2. Harlequin1975

Harlequin1975 New Member

I would defiantly be interested i used dundjinni for my mapping system.

3. Josh Scott

Josh Scott New Member

If you included simple white-board testing, including hex and specifying square resolution, this would be crazy useful. GIMP is great, but 50X as complex as necessary. I'd pay 25 if it were super intuitive

4. heruca

heruca Member

I do plan to support hexgrids (if not in v1.0, then in v1.1 or whatever). Can you explain what you mean by "white-board testing"?

5. Josh Scott

Josh Scott New Member

Like a way to populate a token/mini quickly, a button perhaps, and move it around to feel out your map. Size versions perhaps. If you were going to have layers it could just be a special built-in layer

6. Josh Scott

Josh Scott New Member

maybe an easy dry-erase test/simulation? Just throwing out ideas

7. heruca

heruca Member

It's an interesting idea, might be useful for scaling purposes, too. Should be easy enough to add.

8. heruca

heruca Member

It turns out that there was substantial interest in new mapping software. The Kickstarter for MapForge funded on the first day, and the campaign now has well over 800 backers and is close to unlocking the second Stretch Goal. The first Stretch Goal unlocked five free content Add-Ons.

I'm thrilled with how well MapForge has been received, especially by the former DJ community. I hope it becomes an indispensable tool for d20Pro GMs.

9. Josh Scott

Josh Scott New Member

Just dropped my pledge!

10. heruca

heruca Member

LOL! I think you meant to say "I just pledged!", because I'm still showing you as backer #852.

Btw, thanks for the support!

11. Josh Scott

Josh Scott New Member

Yeah! Dropped in the bank!

12. KainPen

KainPen Member

I just Pledged.

13. heruca

heruca Member

Thanks. We surpassed 1000 backers today! Getting real close to the 3rd Stretch Goal, which will unlock several more free content Add-Ons (meaning at least 8 free packs altogether).

Josh Scott likes this.
  14. heruca

heruca Member

Did I mention that MapForge will have support for randomly-generated maps, via Donjon?

I posted an Update regarding the 4 new free content packs that were just unlocked.

15. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Your MapForge preview is pretty slick. Fun times when we're all pushing in the same direction once again! I'm sure you heard about the other VTT folks working on map builders. We'd been kicking around MapForge as a name for our own tool but couldn't figure out who'd bought the domain.

I like what you've done with the system so far. Will definitely keep an eye out for where you go next! We've got a lot of similarities in terms of features between World Engine and MapForge. It'll be interesting!

We're using similar algorithms for our random map generation. On our end we're pushing through the webgl/Unity3d side (because that's where we've got our core expertise) and leveraging some of the tile/connection type algo's. With your vector system, you can likely do something very similiar down the road.

I like Donjon a lot tho, that's a slick set up and fast to respond.

Good luck!

16. heruca

heruca Member

A new "Commercial/Publisher Bundle" Pledge Level has been added to the MapForge Kickstarter campaign. Limited to the first 100 backers (well, 94 now).

The campaign itself is now at over 1300 backers, 10 days to go, and the last Stretch Goal is about to be unlocked.

17. DungeonFog

DungeonFog New Member

Congrats, that's awesome :)

Now that WoTC announced dndbeyond.com, what are the odds, that we get them to join our conversation? :p

18. heruca

heruca Member

Why DF? Does D&D Beyond have a mapping component? If so, I totally missed the memo.

19. heruca

heruca Member

20. DungeonFog

DungeonFog New Member

Congtats again :D Nice!
    No, they didn't announce any map tools (so far) but I would love to know if they are planning any APIs to connect to DnDBeyond. That would be awesome for our GM-Notes system...