1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Dice Rolls and Initiative

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Thurgian, May 29, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

During the damage phase of combat, would it be possible to have the reusults of each damage die displayed?

Currently, I have a player with "Gauntlets of Destruction" which allows them to reroll any 1's, I have a barbarian who is planning on taking a feat with the same effect; and ultimately the "Great Weapon FIghter" wants a "Vorpal" weapon (which allows you to roll an additional die of damage, each time one of the damage die is at max value).

Not being able to see the damage die results, means that these abilities are useless, or that the player has to roll their results manually ...

Also, please let us review the initiative order after it is finalized. When a combat includes a large amount of creatures, players have no "feel" for when they are going to be up next. This gets worse as mosnters are killed.

Obviously players shouldn't be able to see initiative (unless monsters were just listed as something generic) else they may gain information about what they are fighting, that they don't deserve.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

Showing all dice rolled is on the list of things to implement.

As for initiative order that is shown in the roster.

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Thanks for the reply, I will peek at the roster next time ...

4. huntercc

huntercc New Member

How would we edit the initiative order after it is finalized? I understand how to have a creature act now, delay, etc but lets say I wanted to adjust a character up a few initiative slots without forcing him to act now. How is this done?

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

The times I need to reorder init is usually when a character delays or prepares an action on their turn. so I done them and when they want to come back into action or their new init count would come up I just select them and have them go now (select and press g)

6. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

While not really an answer to the question proposed, on occasion I have monsters that get to go twice (Ettin's come to mind).

I actually make a second copy of the mob, and hide it; but include it in the initial iniative. Works well.

7. huntercc

huntercc New Member

Allowing us to re-trigger the initiative screen would be much easier for users to modify initiative after combat has already begun.

Like I said before, I know I have the ability to delay a creature, or force a creature to go now... but that doesn't always solve the problem.

8. LeJerque

LeJerque New Member

I'm bumping this old thread because I, too, would be delighted to have more detailed control over my characters' initiative. I am playing a game which has an extremely fluid and dynamic init system, and while having the basic controls to delay, go now, etc are helpful, I'm still being forced to track roughly 90% of changes by hand.

The most basic example: Let's say I have five players and five NPCs (not uncommon) in a fight. We roll initiative, and I get a good list of who rolled what. Player X is seventh on the list, and is not in a position to act immediately; he takes a "regroup" action so he'll be in good shape to attack when opportunity knocks. This action adds to his initiative (5 + INT mod), pushing him up the list.

So far, the init scores are fresh in my mind, and I can make a mental note saying "remember to let X 'go now' when it is between Y and Z's move." Of course, then Y opts to delay his move, NPC 1 also opts to regroup, and a readied action triggers for player Q. Within two rounds, the roster is nearly useless to me, and I'm forced to handle the numbers on a sheet of paper.

I'm not asking that the d20Pro team build me an elaborate initiative module that handles this particular game's convoluted options. However, being able to bring back up the initiative dialog that initially appears when starting combat would be an incredible boon. That simple list, with the actual numbers attached to it, would go a long way towards making things better for this game, and any others which feature any sort of dynamic initiative. I would love to see the ability to revisit that window without a fresh re-roll for all participants; it even already allows manual adjustments.

Thank you!

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

It would be nice to see the initiative number for each character on the roster with the ability to edit the initiative number. After editing the initiative number it should reposition itself correctly.

Alternatively, it would be OK if pressing the "combat/free mode" button brings up a dialog box asking if the Judge wants to: 1) switch mode 2) re-roll initiative 3) edit current initiative.

I would much rather like to use the first option.