1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

New Networking - Which version?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GM_Squirrel, Mar 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GM_Squirrel

GM_Squirrel New Member

As the title says... I'm wondering which version has the new networking feature.
    I found a News post mentioning it was going to be out in beta "next week" but the post was made about a month ago.

I'm -very- interested in this new feature, as my players are never able to connect to anything by IP.

Josh Scott likes this.
  2. KainPen

KainPen Member

It was pushed out later that week, to early access pledges from the kickstarter. I think they are waiting until Pool Library and Feature Library, are completed before public beta release. those feature are currently incomplete, in this test version they mention. These features also cause current map creatures to break, as mention in the announcement. I am early access beta tester, but have not tested the network feature of this version, because of I am in the middle of a game, it would be too time consuming to fix all the creatures. I did install it to test folder and play with the Pool and Feature library features, I have to say i really love the flow chart system user interface of those feature. I can't wait for them to be complete. Also this new connection version fixed some issue with lighting and lag also. I do run two of my player thru TCP/IP connection if you want any help trying to set that up. I have set it up in SteamOS, Ubuntu and windows 7 and 10 environments and got it working. if you want some help.

GM_Squirrel likes this.
  3. GM_Squirrel

GM_Squirrel New Member

Thanks for clarifications.
    The problem these two are having I think is their rooters have dynamic IP.
    It's been impossible for either of them to connect to anything that uses IP connection, even using 3rd party software like Hamachi or the likes.
    If you have any tips dealing with that issue, that would be really sweet, but don't sweat it.
    We can wait for the release.
    I just thought it was supposed to already be out.

4. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I've been using the Beta and the networking works pretty great. No more needing to remember IPS.

GM_Squirrel likes this.
  5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

As long as they are not GM'ing that should not matter at all.

6. GM_Squirrel

GM_Squirrel New Member

Well it's the only thing they have in common that I could figure out.
    We tried a lot of different things, turning off firewalls and antiviruses completely and all.
    Not sure what else there is to try but wait for the full release of the no-IP version.
    Good to hear it's working though. :)

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

we're almost done. sorry for the delay.

public beta should be soon. we had some issues with the inventory/item system working well between player and GM.

Because so many are interested in the new networking, we'll try to get the public beta out with a "known-issues" list for the new Feature library features.

GM_Squirrel likes this.
  8. GM_Squirrel

GM_Squirrel New Member

Awesome, can't wait. :)

9. KainPen

KainPen Member

most ISP do dynamic ipaddress, Static ones are reserved often for business that often pay extra for it or government use. So this should not matter. what my be different is lease times for those dynamic ips. example mine is 4 months, every 4 months i get a totally new external ipaddress.

Do you have other people connecting from the outside with out a problem?
    Did you set up port forwarding on your router to a internal static ip address you host d20pro from?
    Are you sure you are giving the players you external ipaddress? you can get this by going to google and typing in what is my ipaddress. this is the number they should be connecting to.
    if you are using your internal local address. that your router is giving you. then they will never connect.
    Are you be hind more then 1 router. note some DSL/Fiber/cable modems act as routers also, this can cause problem if not configured correctly. a lot of wireless access points act as routers also.

Check this 1st and get back to me.

#9 KainPen, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

A temp solution (if you don't mind ads) is to use Tunngle. It's a Virtual Router Fabric similar to what we've implemented. We actually reached out to these guys but couldn't come up with a viable business relationship that didn't include changing the D20PRO pricing model -- so we just built it ourselves. (more information than is necessary -- the actually system we built is designed to be durable across coding platforms so we can port the same logic to other apps and other engines when the time is right!)

11. GM_Squirrel

GM_Squirrel New Member

Not using this. I've hosted NWN games without issues with other people in the past however.

Yes

100% Sure.

I have my cable modem and my wired router, I suppose I should try skipping the router

I will keep you posted ,thank you.

We have tried using Hamachii and one other similar virtual router thing that wasn't Tunngle for some old school Heroes of Might and Magic 3 before they had the HD version on Steam. It was extremely unstable, and not worth the hassle of setting it all up., but thanks for the suggestion.

12. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Tunngle is pretty solid. we were able to cross some crazy network barriers with it.

Another one, to consider is DynVPN. It's not as verbose in terms of what it can traverse, but the effect is solid.

I haven't used Hamachii however, so I cannot compare.

Instead of suggesting more things, I'll just work on getting the release ready!!

13. KainPen

KainPen Member

NWN could runs games differently and maybe using udp or another protocol based communication which was making it thru your routers. d20pro is really old school with this current version networking. Which is why they are making the changes. If your modem is Motorola cable modem it is more then likely is acting like a router as I mention above.

Yes skipping the router is a good idea, it will help you narrow down your issues. Especially if it is actual a router in of it self. Make sure you power cycle after hooking directly up to it. Some cable modems, don't quickly auto reconfigure to the new MAC address that has been connect directly to it. Mine does this. quick unplug and reboot of the modem will fix it. you will want to have your nic card set to dynamic for this testing. This way you can see what your default gateway is with ipconfig /all command. this will give it default gateway which is your modems internal ipaddress. Also check out https://portforward.com/ and see if your modem is the list of routers they have it will tell you how to configure it to port forward, you can set it up to forward to your new internal dynamic ip just for testing. If all this go well. your friend will be able to get in and we will just be limited to adding your router back into the network and trouble shooting that.

14. kinwolf

kinwolf Member

Pfff, I say we go back to the original NeverwinterNights connection protocol. No more silly things like UDP, TCP forwarding or routers port opening. Ymodem-g for the win! ;)

15. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

hehe. I have a beta NWN toolkit Cd hanging on my wall like a trophy. Neverwinter was my first digital tabletop tool. I ran local games on a laptop with a broken hinge so I could flip the lid all the way back.

oh the fond memories of proprietary 3d model formats. The pipeline to go from Lightwave3D to Neverwinter was the most painful thing I've ever experienced.