1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Really Need Better Support.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dentaa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. dentaa

dentaa New Member

First off, I own and run a software development firm. I am an experienced programmer and gamer.
    I am just angry at the lack of decent walk though and support this software has for it.
    I see the potential and yes it looks awesome.
    But I am now at least 15 hours into dicking around with this software and I give up.
    I have leaned Hero Lab and Realm Works and Campaign Cartographer...
    I do not have the time to decipher and interpret your software.
    The lack of walk throughs on your software is just mindblowing.
    Never mind that wiki...
    I wish you would have spent less time building new software and more time documenting and fixing your existing solutions.
    I am really upset because I had so much hope for this solftware.

2. Whirlingdervish

What exactly are you trying to do?

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

We actually have been working to provide support, but since we took over the kickstarter and it is changing so many of the underlying features we, Mesa Mundi, didn't initially invest in documentation for a thing that was radically changing.

Since the kickstarter and the changes have taken so incredibly long we've been working with one of the original team to create tutorial videos and to slowly, meticulously redo the wiki as well.

The most current docs live here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/d20pro

In video walk thru form. Once the new webengine ships with the next release, we'll be able to provide in-app access to documentation thru read-the-docs and video streams.

Again, I'm sorry you've had such a frustrating time of it and I really, truly, as a developer appreciate your attempt to "RTM" -- but the Manual is sorely lacking.

Lonewolf147 likes this.
  4. Blueter

Blueter Member

Yes, I have to agree that tutorials are lacking (for lack of a better word.). I'd like to see more gameplay on youtube, or wherever, the mapping seems overly complicated with the functions that are turned on from the jump. It took me hours of combing through d20pro and fantasy grounds to decide which I was going to use. All that said I truly believe that D20Pro is better than FG but figuring out why was a lot of look it up and test it yourself. I've also noticed that D20Pro seems have a lacking presence on other forums, for me this means on Paizo. There is a lot of room for customer relations that has gonna untapped, I want to see this not only succeed overall but also flourish! I look at like old school Nintendo vs Sega. I love Sega but Nintendo still dominated with great relations, just food for thought.

5. Whirlingdervish

Are you drawing a map, importing a preexisting image as a map, or using tiles already in d20pro to make a map? also can you tell me exactly what functions are turned on that are giving you trouble?

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

It's a general rule of the internet not to over do it with your own product on someones site. I skim paizo's site and forums about once a week ... Personally, the problem I have with paizos forums, is it is sooo large and you just get lost in there and can never find anything...

Like Owlbear said earlier, we are doing small things to help with documentation (videos, blog posts, conversations) but the main docs will not be updated until the new build of the software is out.. we chose to wait for the ground to stop shifting and the dust to settle from the construction.

Lonewolf147 likes this.
  7. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I echo what Owlbear is saying here... I have updated the wiki, patched some holes and brought it more up to-date just prior to the new FOW system. Honestly, it needs a complete wipe, restart from scratch build of the documentation. and there are plan to do that, and include a lot of the newer, nicer tut methods such as the awesome vids Curtis is doing.. Again though, we've been holding off till the software was stable enough to solidly document it..

Been burned before teaching someone how to do things, and then they had to totally relearn how to do the thing, because the methods changed from planned to finished product.. This is -even more- frustrating to the users and us as well, than the docs being lacking.. With lacking, you can always ask you questions here, on discord, via email, on facebook, on google, on tumblr, google+ or on twitter and you'll almost 99% of the time get a reply in less than 12 hours...

Lonewolf147 likes this.
  8. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I've been plugging D20PRO on a D&D 5e group on Facebook that I'm a part of. Tho I try not to push too hard or often, especially since D20PRO isn't super 5e friendly just yet. But anytime there's mention of roll20, I put my 2 cents in for D20PRO.

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks @Tay-Dor and all.

The original poster has left the thread from all that I can tell, I'd suggest we button up this claim and move the conversation to another thread that's less negative since I feel like you're all illustrating exactly why our community rocks!

Lonewolf147 likes this.