1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

D20Pro on a Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mhossom, Mar 23, 2017.

1. mhossom

mhossom New Member

Has anyone managed to run the client side of D20Pro on a Pi? I thinking about building an insert for my dining room table with a touch screen in it. I would rather not have another lap top at the table. I was thinking that a Raspberry Pi mounted under the table would be a cool and cheap option.

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd suggest using a heavier duty solution like a Nvida Shield (with linux rather than android). Or you can have a system elsewhere feed to the Pi as a screenshare.

We turned on OpenGL support in the last build to speed up some of the features like shadowcasting -- I'm not sure the Pi sports a speedy enough GPU to handle that -- FYI.

I did see the article about the Pi being used for webgl tho, so maybe it'll be fine.

A quick google search on remote desktop solutions for Pi lead to this:

https://eltechs.com/3-ways-to-run-a-remote-desktop-on-raspberry-pi/

I prefer VNC but teamviewer is also solid if not free.

3. mhossom

mhossom New Member

If I need to have a remote PC anyways, I will probably just slide it under the table and power the display directly. I'm not hell bent on using the Pi. I just thought it would be an elegant solution to have everything self contained in the insert.

4. KainPen

KainPen Member

Check out higher end intel compute sticks or a mid to high level intel nuc or another other higher end mirco computers. I run my game off a nuc as gm currently two screens, and it works fairly well. I do get some lag but it is one of the lower end models I3 models. I think Zotac and Gygbyte make some really higher end model that can actually decent hd gaming. most nuc or similar mirco computers are vesa mount compatible so you can hide them on the back of the screen. they will be the most elegant solution for, that use.

5. mhossom

mhossom New Member

Very cool. Thank you for pointing me in that direction. That should make doing touch screen easier too.

Cheers!!