1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

D20pro 4K build question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mahhand, Oct 7, 2017.

1. mahhand

mahhand Member

Hail fellow gamers!

I am researching a DnD digital gaming table that I am going to build and I plan I using a 4K ips led tv that I want to run at 4096 by 2160 native resolution so my maps and figures look great even when zoomed out or zoomed in. I have done some tests with a couple different computers and I can tell you that the higher resolution of going 4K can make scrolling or zooming the maps a slide show experience.

My question for the programmers is this, does d20pro take more use of a higher end CPU or would a higher end deticated GPU get me a smoother experience while scrolling and zooming the maps around in the program? On a side note, the experience is very good when I connected my desktop gaming tower to the 4K tv with d20pro but I don't know if it's because of my high end i7 CPU or the fact I have a deticated video card (nvidia gtx 1080)

Thanks for your help, and please on comment if you are someone who is truly in the know about this, i.e. One of the people who works on d20pro. Thanks for your time and help.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

As far as I know, D20PRO is only limited as to the hardware and memory you run it on. I'll see if I can get you an official answer/recommendation as I am not too up to date on the 4k/huge display scene.

3. Mickey

Mickey Member

You've pretty much answered your own question ;)

Any laptop (or desktop, for that matter) that uses a shared graphics card will suffer badly when it comes to running any graphic intensive software or running at higher than 1080p resolution. CPUs in those systems have an integrated graphical processing unit to handle light graphical processing but anything more than that, it basically can't handle it. This means that some of the CPU power has to be reserved for the graphics card to use, leaving less processing power for the actual software to run on and affecting performance. Shared graphics cards also share system RAM, usually between 2 and 4GB of it. So, if your system has 8GB of RAM then anything up to half of that will be used by the on board graphics card.

With a dedicated graphics card, it has its own GPU and RAM. So, your on board system resources - CPU and RAM - can be used to run the program more efficiently without wasting power and memory on the shared card.

4. mahhand

mahhand Member

Though I would post a follow up here on this project.

Currently I have been running my live campaigns on a 32” 1080p thin led lcd tv that we just lay flat on the dining room table (we play at different peoples houses). The lcd tv has a 3/16 clear plexiglass panel mounted onto the top of the lcd bezel and then an infrared 5 point multitouch frame on top of this that provides touch support for my players and the map and tokens.

To control the d20pro session on the tabletop lcd screen I have been using a small Intel NUC mini computer that is the size of a 120mm fan. It’s great having a dedicated pc to handle the lcd battlemat d20pro because it allows a separate mouse to be used and of course all the benefits that come with a truly separate client.

The Intel NUC is not a really powerful machine but it gets the job done, though it doesn’t handle 4K resolutions so I though I was going to have to replace it for my next lcd table build as I plan on using my 4K high end Vizio tv for the build.

Just for the hell of it, I plugged in the Intel NUC into my 4K display and even though it is running the tv at only 1080p, the vizio is upscaling the content so well that it looks just about the same so that is what I am going to do for now rather then try to run it at native 4K. Just so much less taxing this way for smooth map scrolling and zooming.

I will post a pic of my table setup next time it’s all put together here to show you how I run my games. Werd

5. mahhand

mahhand Member

This is my current table setup as detailed above. I use a 120mm Cooler-master scythe fan under my Intel NUC to keep it cool. It spins slow so there is not much noise. The switch to the left allows me to use network cables to run d20pro to all the local machines and my players laptops if they bring them so that no D20pro data needs to use the wireless as it can get things congested. The switch is also connected to my router with a pair of Power-line network adapters so we all have wired internet. if this post does not belong here feel free to move it to the right place.

Attached Files:

6. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

How well does the infra red work I thought there would be a lot of issues especially laying it down. What is the bezel that your using? Is there a link to it. I went out and got a 24 touch screen with capacitive touch. The larger monitors are way to much but if there is an inexpensive bezel I am interested.