1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Effects library

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UndeadDan, Oct 17, 2017.

1. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

In the days before the flow editor for game effects, it was possible to give an effect a name and recall it later. I see no allowance for this now. Has this extremely useful feature been eliminated or is it hidden behind an arcane button/menu combination?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

It hasn't been eliminated, just subsumed by the features library mechanics (how you access it and use it have changed).
    Create a Trait or Feature, name it whatever you want, use it over and over again.

3. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

Is there some sort of documentation on how to use this? I can create game effects all day long but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to retrieve them.

Please help. We used the effects library all the time and now it's entirely unintuitive and useless without documentation or a tutorial of some sort.

4. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

So I created a simple spell 'Mage Armor' and was able to figure out how to recall it but whenever I cast it, the application locks up. Really, any help would be appreciated.

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

if you upload the spell (exported) or post a screen shot of the FLOW window, we'd be happy to take a look for you

7. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

I'll see if I can figure out what the issue is now that I have some reference materials. But I'll take you up on that if I get stuck.
    Thanks for the super quick and helpful reply!

8. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

Attached Files:

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So this looks like the only issue was the Trigger -- it shouldn't have been locking up the system however, that'd be an actual bug and I'll investigate further to see if I can replicate.

Triggers are "when" should a feature fire each round of the duration. In this case having an On Caster trigger would result in adding +4 Armor Bonus (Arcane) to the target (Caster) each round for 8 hours.

Instead try this layout:

upload_2017-11-19_23-48-17.png

(xml included as well)

If you want to have a magic item grant +4 arcane armor when equipped, you can use the On Equip option in the Item Templates.

upload_2017-11-19_23-51-1.png

I know that's not what you were asking, but it's very apropos to the kind of stuff mage armor is about.

Attached Files:

10. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

Extra info is cool. Unless it drowns the relevant stuff I'm always happy for more.

I had previously set the trigger to 'none' and had the same result. Other than trying a fresh install with a blank campaign is there something more I can try on my end?

11. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Just out of curiosity, are you on a Mac?

To help debug it, can you try to use the feature, then copy your log over to me? With the trigger set to none, this should be working like a champ.

Please do keep in mind that level matters for spells, this didn't seem to be a problem in your feature however, as the level was set up correctly.

12. Zandu

Zandu New Member

This helped me out a little bit with trying to build my spell staff (magic staff that works like a bow with 10 charges). So on equip gave me the ability to tie the feature to the item. I now see the spell staff with its attributes in the inventory but when I equip it does not add the attack to the character's options. What's the next step?

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Could you add a copy of the staff as an export here, so we can take a look at it. Please also include screenshots of the FLOW screen for its relevant bits.

14. Zandu

Zandu New Member

Thanks, for taking a look. Here is the picture of the feature flow. Files attached. Having trouble adding the attack once the item is equipped. So cant test the effects yet. spellstaff feature.PNG

Attached Files:

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I'll look deeper into it once I can get to D20PRO this afternoon, but at first blush. The 'Attack' needs to do the mechanics, there really isn't an 'Effect' in this case.

upload_2017-12-10_12-20-45.png

16. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

so, your basic Quarterstaff will look like so.

upload_2017-12-10_12-43-15.png

upload_2017-12-10_12-45-12.png

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Adding Mage Armor would look like.. though I haven't had a lot of coffee yet, so this might need tweaking.

upload_2017-12-10_12-56-27.png

upload_2017-12-10_12-59-6.png

Attached Files:

18. Zipwhaa

Zipwhaa New Member

Hi. I had the exact same problem as UndeadDan with Mage Armor. I don't know if it's specific to that single spell but it locked me up. Attached is the log and a pick of the flow if it helps. I'm on a Mac, El Capitan.

Attached Files: