1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Show Image

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HippyCraig, Dec 15, 2017.

1. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

I want to have a Marker on a my map display an Image to the user when I make it accessible. As the Party leaves a map I have a nice picture I found of a cave exit I want to present to them for a nice visual effect. Whats the best way to do this?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Not totally sure what it is you're asking.

If it is a map tile or asset, I place it on the map and toggle its visibility (V key), keeping it hidden until needed). If it's not a map tile/asset or the like, I'd make it into a handout.

3. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

So at the end of a map of caves I wanted to present a nice picture I found on the internet of the cave exit like its own stand alone picture, but I wanted a way to keep it with the map maybe have a marker on the page show it. I see that you can add URI to a marker as a trigger and though of maybe trying to figure that out. I know I can make a hand out but its really only relevant for the map, and if I export the map to another copy of the campaign I would like to keep the assets together.

4. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

You can make the image into a marker as markers are resizable. Keep it invisible until they are about to leave the map, then make it visible.

You add the picture file to your markers folder in judge > campaigns > (your campaign name) > res > Manualy Specified > markers

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

But you can do that already as a tile, no need for permanent marker addition. Why I was asking him for information on exactly what he was trying to do, since it was a bit unclear.

Could you post the image you are talking about, please?

#5 Wesley Gorby, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  6. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

So here is a picture of the map and the image I want to show. Its currently a handout, but I wasn't sure if there is a better way to do this. I thought being able to keep these things together with the map made more sense as this wouldn't be a permanent handout. I thought making this part of a marker would be a good idea as I can see that you can add URI to the marker. And if so how would I format the URI with relative paths?

MapAndImage.png Marker.png

7. Mickey

Mickey Member

Assuming that this is what you want to do - import the map I've posted here. I used your files so you can see the example in relation to your issue. What I did was import the cave entrance as a tile. All you have to do is go to 'Draw Tools' and click on the 'Manage Tiles' tab. Then, to make it visible or invisible, just click on the green eye icon on the left side next to the tile name "cave entrance".

Attached Files:

8. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

Ok I imported it and I see what your talking about but I am not that was exactly what I was looking to do, but it will definitly work. So thank you!

Based on what I have in my screen shots what is the Trigger part of the marker used for then other than playing music. Can it be used like I was thinking to show a picture if I wanted with a URI? what are other uses for the Triggers section?

9. Mickey

Mickey Member

No worries :)

I'll defer to the developers on that URI question. I've always thought the trigger was just for music/sfx but, I could very well be wrong.

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

That would be a correct assumption, for markers, it is indeed usually used for triggering fx/sounds, most often in conjunction with Syrinscape.

It's been some time since I have played with it, though I seem to recall that it should be able to pull up a web asset, such as an image.. it should fire a call to the users web browser and attempt to open the url. I can play with it some in the morning and let you know.

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Yeah, if it were me, I'd present the image to the party as a handout.. doing the description introduction to the map.. then once that's done, place the party on the map proper.

Alternatively, no reason to hide it as a tile, you could scale and crop it, to sit on the edge of your map. Sorta as Mickey has proposed, though I'd scale it to look more like a page article in a magazine where the image is one column down the right side, and then the map is another left full.

If you upload the exported map and the raw image I'd be happy to show you what I mean.

12. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

I have attached the files you asked for, also I was doing some research and there are URI for images and other file types, it seems odd to just have it for just Syrnscape when it could be used for so much more.

Attached Files:

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

@HippyCraig are you on DIscord? if so, I'd like to offer some help. Perhaps we could chat a bit..

upload_2017-12-20_12-54-12.png

These are 'solid' walls, I'd like to show you how to do this using walls as an edging method rather than as a solid.

I'll fix this map up for you as an example for you to ref.

14. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I take it there are no doors on these rooms?

upload_2017-12-20_12-58-7.png

15. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

There are no doors on any rooms, I just wanted a simple way to reveal large area's Im not looking to use lighting in any way. I have a touch screen that will sit on the table and everyone will be able to move there characters around. So I just want to show a section at a time instead of blocks shows on the fly.

I am on Discord, when should I meet you on there, my handle is HippyCraig.

16. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

example redo for ya

Attached Files:

17. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

Thanks for taking the time to show me everything. I really appreciate the time, and I feel like I have a better handle on things!!!

18. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

19. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

So I wanted to show you the new changes I made based on all the things you have shown me I think I got it all in there. See Attached

Attached Files: