1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Internal network hosting and online through d20pro hosting site at the same time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mahhand, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mahhand

mahhand Member

Hail Brothers in D20pro!

I am planning on running a game in a hotel room in a couple weeks and I was wondering if it would be possible to have my live at the gaming table players connecting through my switch that I print to the table (I know how to handle the DNS and stuff), but at the same time have my one player who lives far away to connect though the hotels WiFi using the new game sessions hosting feature to get around the need to forward an IP address as that won’t be an option.

Can this be done?

P.S. I like to do local hosting to avoid all the WiFi and internet transmitting back and forth to the local players because I use large maps and token images.

That for your reply

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

To my knowledge, there is no way to mix-in-match connection methods. I suggest speaking with the hotel, it's possible they could open the port for you.

3. mahhand

mahhand Member

I doubt that they would do that. Major hotels are so worried about being hacked. Dratz. Put one in for the future d20pro software requests

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You could use the 'sessions method' (non direct TCP/IP) for everyone, though the round trip via the hotels firewall might make that to sluggish to be viable, but it's worth a try.

5. mahhand

mahhand Member

I think i might do the tcpip to handle the internal session and then try using a vpn site to get around the port forwarding

6. mahhand

mahhand Member

Just wanted to give an update on the live game with also remote play I ran last week. The d20pro Sessions pairing system worked flawlessly for not only my local connected players but also the two that I had join in from a few states away.

Seems to be a great feature that was added and wanted to give my thanks for providing it. No way my two players would have been able to join our d20pro game as we were in a hotel and no way to forward a port.

Thanks again!

Tay-Dor and Nezzeraj like this.
  7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

np.. glad it worked out for you..