1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

IR pen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vecna, May 12, 2010.

1. vecna

vecna New Member

I have switched from Maptools (which is a good program) to D20pro ( a very easy, less learning curve, Pathfinder Friendly ) program.

I have been using smoothboard and the wii for my players as I use a projector to play on. Its great.

Has anyone else here only used d20pro as one screen with players around the table? How did you have the players interact with their icons/Character? Did anyone give them a mouse to use? A IR pen? an Iphone app that controls a mouse where they can pass that around the group? A remote joystick?

Did your players have the ability to right click?

My game we used an IR pen so they can move and click their characters. Its fun but for some reason d20pro won't work with the program and the IR pen doesn't make contact with the program (I'm still trying to fix that) Anyways Im just curious as to what other people do when only using one screen?

2. vecna

vecna New Member

For those that are using an IR pen like the guy in this youtube video I am happy to report that it DOES work and ROCK on d20pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8fTkXQ1tY0

My players are able to move the map, characters, even attack and cast spells if they want as if they were using a laptop themselves.

It only works on 2.0.3 and not on 2.1 but im sure with the next release that bug will be gone, along with the inability to import Herolab files 3.6.

Anyways my players love how awsome it is to move the icons around as if they are minatures. Yet have such a clean smooth interface where the IR pen has no trouble clicking

Keep up the great work with D20pro

(PS Now if only we could get dynamic lighting and vision, you would have Maptools sweating, ;) )

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I am using a software product called "Teamplayer", which allows every user to have their own mouse as well as their own color coded pointer.

I tired one game where we just had multiple mice, but there were always two people trying to do things at once.

4. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hey Vecna,

Very cool about the pen. We checked out the you tube vid a while ago and have thought about using it with d20Pro. That is so cool you have done it. I would love to see some pics...

The dynamic lighting, fow, etc are all things slated for improvement. We are looking put out something else this summer but no comment yet on what will be included.

Best,

Nick

5. vecna

vecna New Member

thanks Nick

Yes i ordered another IR pen only this one with an extendable reach about 24 inches. How we play is simple (don't have pics) I have a projector pointing down to the table along with a wiimote. The software for the pen is free and basically we move the d20pro characters around on the white table. Its fast, cool looking and as a DM i can walk up to the table and move the monsters and right click to attack right in front of them IF i wanted. I actually sit with my lap top and move the bad guys on my side.

The computer is set to dual display one with the GM and one just for the players on the projector. All this works like a charm and packs up easy. The projector is a short throw projector so it can project 60 inches very easily. We do own most the the wotc minis and sometimes use them on the table for added effect over the icons. We also have dwarven forge but d20pro has so many practical uses we just sort of stopped using the forge

I got the program 2.1 to work as long as i open it under d20pro windows batch file otherwise no matter which program is used, ie smoothboard,boon, etc. None of the IR pens work with the program.

We look forward to the dynamic lighting as it really makes a huge difference in the game.

cheers

6. Lowendz113

Lowendz113 New Member

So I have all but convinced myself to drop the money to set up a similar table to what you guys have. I'm glad to hear that the wiimote rig works. I've been reading a lot about it, but I haven't seen it in action.

I only have 2 questions: How do you right click? How do you deal with screen orientation?

I saw you somehow had a function to switch to right click, is that a program? Or have you guys figured out a different work around?

What I mean by screen orientation isn't really the whole map, its just the attack and character information. When you right click you get the little menu that pops up, I'm wondering if there is a way to make that face the correct direction for each player around the table.

7. Dan

Dan Member

We are looking at incorporating some sort of friendly right-click option, though it might have to be a right-click button (in the quick tools section next to the start button). A button like that would cause the next tap or click to be a right-click. That, or using triple-click or click & hold. We still need to see what options work well in Java and other systems too.

8. Lowendz113

Lowendz113 New Member

Awesome. That would solve a lot of issues.

Any thoughts on the window orientation? It would be really nice to have the windows actually pop up facing the active player. (I know nothing about programming, so that might be a dumb question...)

9. Lowendz113

Lowendz113 New Member

Actually I just found a usable solution (at least for my set up). Apparently if you press cntl+alt+an arrow button, the screen will shift it's orientation. So I will just have all of my plays line up along the wide sides of the table and flip back and forth. Not ideal, but it will do.

10. ogexam

ogexam Member

I had another idea on the right click issue. How about a hot key like that when pressed the next click is counted as a right click.
    Or a combination of them, one with a key then click and a button no the screen that can be turned on that once clicked the next click is a right click.

11. Lowendz113

Lowendz113 New Member

The problem is that requires a keyboard. Ideally I'd like to be able to go with no keyboard.

Hmmm...Is it possible to rig up a single button to perform this? Like something you could hook up to the usb port and mount on the table. Like a staple easy button or something...