1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Armor Traits apply to token, but not rolls

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by templar12, Sep 25, 2018.

1. templar12

templar12 Member

hello! I was hoping to get some help re bug i have encountered. i had posted in the discord but i fear it was lost due to all the posting ( i know this is not sexy as video map layers urls) . i just wanted to place here so i can find it easier...

what you are trying to do exactly?
    Made armor traits to affect skills misc modifier

what the result was and/or what steps you took?
    trait appears to work except when applying the misc modifier

Is the issue repeatable?
    yes

what OS you are using?
    windows 10 home

what rules system are you using?
    old fart 3.5

what version of the software are you using?

please see attached

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

When you installed 3.7.5, did you do so as a clean install into a new folder?

upload_2018-9-26_15-41-39.png

this and the huge html dump that comes along with it, makes me wonder if there are not other issues going on? There's nothing else in the log however, except that massive html dump.

3. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

More directly to the question (admittedly my D&D 3.5 is a bit rusty, were it I would have attacked this slightly differently and gone for adjusting the Attribute modifier for STR and DEX rather than all the individual skills.

Also, this is going to be cumbersome on the system implemented this way.
    Every single token is going to have to be checked and adjusted (skills adjusted) every single time any event (tokens moved, attacks, etc etc) happens indefinitely as you have this written.

Any reason not to adjust STR and DEX mods rather than individual skill rolls, since those take the attribute bonus as a modifier? it'd be easier to manage than all those skills and less weight on the engine..

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Anyhoot, gimmie a few minutes to fire up a 3.5 game and I'll do some poking around

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

so manual modifications to a Skill seem to work as expected, now let's try your Feature.

upload_2018-9-26_16-7-22.png

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Also, what is your Feature attached to? is it on an 'On Equip' for an item?

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

So, yeah it looks as though SKills are not taking the Misc modification from a feature/Trait into account.

upload_2018-9-26_16-18-25.png

@owlbear said he spoke with you and has not as of yet found a solution for this, but he is working on it.

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Templar12. Didn't we get this up and running already? (I'm digging through my sample flows for the skill one...)

As to the log error, while odd, it mostly just looks like something on your system told D20PRO, "No loading web page for you!" And so it didn't. We'll dig into why, however, that seems unrelated to the skills issue!

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

FYI -> re: Owlbear comment:

fixed the skill thing.
    yeah... the skill mods were not being applied. calculated, but not being applied.
    fix is in for the next beta release.

#9 Wesley Gorby, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay!

So found the bug with the skill penalty, embarrassingly.

When we built the feature system we stubbed in the skill modifiers and never unstubbed that code. I just updated it so it matches up with the current edition of the feature/flow system and here's the results:

upload_2018-9-26_17-47-53.png

So skill penalties are being generated by a flow (see below). The -5 to Climb and Jump are visible in the skill usage panel on the right. And you can see the results in the game log on the left. the first two are the very successful attempts to climb without penalty appling. The last one... not so much.

I also popped open the "Penalty" box which is actually designed to let you toggle what skills, by stat usage type, would get a usage penalty. While this isn't necessary when using the flow system. It is worth noting that this system exists and can be used on a per-creature basis. I'll also look into a clean way to let you set the penalty types for armor via flows.

As to setting the penalty via script, I'm working on a solution for that. In the meantime, you're current plan of targeting the skills individually should work when the next beta rolls out. We'll iterate on this quickly so we can get some of these niggly bits pushed into production sooner than later!

11. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay. I've got a script for you as well. I've added this to the default scripts for inclusion in the next round of builds as well:

upload_2018-9-26_18-24-27.png

Usage in a flow is shown on the bottom. the example files are attached below (in the zip)

Attached Files:

12. templar12

templar12 Member

Hail! Yes, it was a clean install. I imported lots of my older version d20pro 3.5

13. templar12

templar12 Member

Well, this functionality was why I was excited about the traits library. I liked when characters don, remove,change armor that it could have same ability effects like when you equip a weapon and its options appear in your Attack tab.

14. templar12

templar12 Member

Thank you very much!!! I also got Kril's message about posting preferences in Discord. Will continue to do so in future. Apologies if I broke norms.

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

no worries at all and you didn't break anything. We're just trying to get as much information as possible (in a common way) in order to offer the best help and understand the situation.