1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.7.5 Exception when trying to launch campaign

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by AkosPrime, Oct 18, 2018.

1. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

Fresh install of 3.7.5. Using Java 1.8.0_181. OS: CentOS Linux 6.10.
    Create new campaign from DM license. Put in name, chose D&D 5.0, chose D&D SRD, put in password, chose direct IP networking and oversized layout. Clicked ok. Process to start campaign began and then error box appeared with "Unexpected throwable initializing app. java.lan.NullPointerException." Attaching D20PRO.log from server.

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

here is the problem, however I'm not sure what it means on Linux..
    @owlbear is out sick right now, I'll ask him to take a look once he is back online

[18 Oct 2018 15:16:10,683] FATAL SafeRunnable | Uncaught Exception caught in SafeRunnable: ShowFrameTask (Thread Name: AWT-EventQueue-0) java.lang.Exception: Uncaught Exception caught in SafeRunnable: ShowFrameTask (Thread Name: AWT-EventQueue-0) at com.sengent.common.threading.SafeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

AkosPrime, can you verify that the app is running against Oracle Java and not against OpenJDK?

Have you tried creating a session without a campaign template, just to be certain this is happening in the root application and not in a subprocess.

Thanks, I am definitely out sick at the moment, but will poke in to see if we cannot resolve this.

4. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

I install Java from an Oracle tarball, here's the output of -version:

[astocker@morgenes D20PRO-3.7.5]$ /usr/java/latest/jre/bin/java -version
    java version "1.8.0_181"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-b13)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)

I'm afraid I don't know how to start a session without a campaign. I reinstalled from scratch, downloaded my license, launched a GM session, and it prompts me to load a campaign. I click on 'Cancel' to get out of that window but nothing happens (other than a non-window killing exception getting thrown, at least according to the scrolling printout from the d20Pro.sh window.)

I've tried choosing different game systems and rules as well as selecting <NONE> as options for those and it doesn't make a difference, when I go to host the game, the program thinks for a bit and then throws the Error window with the java exception.

Just to confirm I went back and blew away my 3.7.4 directory, redownloaded and unzipped that version, downloaded my license, activated the GM, set up a campaign, and launched it successfully with the host option. So at the moment my problem seems to be confined to 3.7.5 (although I had other issues with 3.7.4 of course.)

If you want, I can update the Java to 1.8.0_191, but I've been avoiding it at the moment because we're having issues with that version at work and I didn't want to create any additional problems at home.

5. Golldan

Golldan Member

Jumping on this thread - hope you do not mind.

Updated from 3.7.4 to 3.7.5 a couple of weeks ago. One user using Windows, we are running a Pathfinder game, gets the error now under 3.7.5 (never had that issue with 3.7.4). I can get more user specs, or my log if needed (not sure if log still needed if is a user issue). He updated his Java after first week it giving the error, still getting the error. Not sure if these are related, but leave it in your trusty hands if you need to pull this out of this thread. Thanks -- Please advise.

[​IMG]

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

we'd need the log file from the client in order to have an idea of what is going on.

7. Golldan

Golldan Member

Log attached. Barik was the user not able to log in. Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Need the client log, not your log, please..

As for yours, there is a bit of

[03 Dec 2018 11:38:29,238] WARN MasterConnectionListener | Failed attempt to join game. User name: ELE, License name: dacgold, From location: /44-37-E6-C6-00-51:151395246
    com.mindgene.transport.exceptions.AuthenticationException: Invalid session password. Contact the Judge for a valid password.

and this one, which I am not familiar with

[02 Dec 2018 20:14:36,607] WARN ErrCaptureStream | Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IllegalStateException: This map already has this creature
    at com.mindgene.d20.dm.map.DMMapModel.addCreature(DMMapModel.java:278)

9. Golldan

Golldan Member

Thanks, I will get the users log. The last session we would have attempted to have was on Dec 2nd.

10. Golldan

Golldan Member

Finally got the log. See attached. User also noted now getting a bug message (not sure where it came from or if impacting or not) - maybe his machine is not allowing him to run something in D20Pro....but attaching anyway.

Attached Files:

11. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello @Golldan.

Java apps get abused pretty heavily by aggressive virus scanners. I would advise the player to reinstall the application with the virus scanner temporarily disabled. What happens is, programs like comodo and avast, will remove or block jar bundles from the install.

From the log, it looks like the core memory access for the application is being blocked.

Additionally, the package appears to be blocking the core Chromium bundle which D20PRO uses to manage many of it's http communications.

My advice would be to have the player follow the instructions here for temporarily disabling their scanner:

http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-623-7648-.html

then re-run the install and test.

12. Golldan

Golldan Member

Thanks, the user reinstalled w/ anti-virus off. And we had no issues with the session last night!