1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Doors are they needed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blueter, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Blueter

Blueter Member

I've been using D20Pro for awhile now. I was showing one of my friends for to cover maps with fog of war trying to not let the bits of uncovered area's show. He said he got it and started FoW on his map. Afterwards he showed to me, had all the doors set into place, the mask, walls, ect, ect. I asked him why did you add the FoW doors to the doors onto the map? His answer was well they are doors! I mean makes sense right?
    It doesn't really though, I mean as long as you have walls drawn out and mask what else do you really need on pre-drawn map? All a door is, is a tiny mask that covers the door area, from what I can tell. Is there actually an advantage to using the doors portion of FoW? I've covered A LOT of maps with FoW now and I think I stopped using the door option on map 2 or so. It doesn't make sense to me to try to line up the door FoW just inside a door so the players can tell there is a door on there end. A straight line mask that covers whatever is on both sides of the door is both easier and quicker. Again am I missing something that a FoW door does or is it old and outdated at this point?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I find them very helpful as a GM, especially when using lights on characters. They are extremely useful when players close doors given that they exclude players on the other side from seeing in.

at some point in the future, you will be able to add graphics to doors.

Tay-Dor likes this.
  3. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I second Kril's response. :)

4. Blueter

Blueter Member

I think maybe you miss what I am saying. A door isn't special, it's just another name for a mask. If it acts like a mask and looks like a mask, it's a mask. There is no difference if I draw a thin mask past the wall or use a door. They both do the exact some thing or is there something that separates them from a mask?

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I didn't miss your point, perhaps you missed mine :) -> at some point in the future, you will be able to add graphics to doors.

6. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

I have an idea, what if doors were clickable in an on/off state, and if they have images on could be a closed door image and off could be an open door image. This way they didnt need to be moved out of the way just opened.

7. TheSuperGuido

TheSuperGuido New Member

Unless I'm missing something, right now, in order to open a closed door, the GM has to go into draw tools. Correct?

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Nope, just like Masks, you can hit the Show/Hide tool on the top menu and click on them to reveal them.

9. TheSuperGuido

TheSuperGuido New Member

And no impassable walls or automatic movement around obstacles correct?
    I've had the software for years but had never had reason to use it until now so I'm trying to get a handle on things I haven't seen in the tutorials.

Thanks!

10. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

@TheSuperGuido , That is correct. There are no hard stops for tokens, so PC can move them 'through' walls so to speak.

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

This is correct, it does not limit a player from moving through a 'wall' area. The reason for this is for instances where that would be appropriate to the PC or critter, incorporeal/ethereal etc etc...

The GM, still has to manage the scene, and move the token back (hopefully, he does not have 'Auto Reveal' hidden toggled on).

This a design choice in that we'd rather enable the freedom to do what you need/want, rather than to restrict something and deny that function. Maybe in your world, every player can go incorporeal once per day. :)

12. Blueter

Blueter Member

If their are plans to make the FoW for doors another color, wouldn't that show where ever door you added on the map? All I'm saying is they are small mask that are difficult to click on unless you are zoomed in on them. I guess the one thing they do is block the view of a player on the wrong side of the door if they become closed while players are on both sides of them.
    The draw back is they are black FoW (or whatever color you have your FoW set too.) which makes the map in which the player look at difficult to tell the difference from a wall and a door, unless you make that door smaller than the map drawn door, which in turn makes IMO an unnecessary mask which is hard to "click" on.
    In all fairness I also don't use independent lighting very often either as I have my screen built into a table and we all sit around it, so I simply light a room when they walk into it. I do think the lighting in very neat though!

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Another great way to handle doors, preserving the Map art is to;
    Use Door -> Closed -> Interactive
    Draw a single line across your opening and then make a small 'Solid' area off inside a wall or other obstruction.
    Then you can just click on that small solid part to toggle your door Open/Closed.

upload_2019-1-2_15-47-8.png

#13 Wesley Gorby, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  14. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Door Closed

upload_2019-1-2_15-57-15.png

Door Open

upload_2019-1-2_15-58-12.png