1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle single use items ie. potions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrwinfree, Jan 23, 2019.

1. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

Using the Rules Library > Item Library, I am configuring common magic items for use.
    I will use Potion of Shield as an example. Edit Potion of shield. This opens the edit pane. nothing to change on the item splash page but perhaps the image. That is currently the ubiquitous dagger. click on the Plus (+) sign and I can choose <From Library> one of several options. Which of these options is most appropriate for a single use item? I would think <Ammunition> but am not sure as I don't know the workings of the templates used in this area. Now, opening the <ammunition> tab, I change the name to Potion. The Level to the lowest level possible to produce said potion, check consume on use and make usage 1 of 1. Then finally I add the appropriate spell from the Source column to the Selected column.

I have attempted this but am finding the item is not being removed from the player's inventory after use. What step am I missing? The effect is otherwise correct as it does change the target AC and have a timer attached.

Of note, using Ammunition as the From Library pane did not allow this potion to show up in activate ability decision box. back to drawing board.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

3. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

okay, so according to the guide, On Equip will activate the item when it is equipped. I envision say a magical suit of armor. When equiped, armor bonus applied, when unequiped bonus removed. In your example you have OnEquip and set to Consume on Use. Does this allow the PC to activate the potion via the <B> hotkey choice and then automagically remove said item from inventory when used? Thanks. Mickey

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

On Equip is for things that add Attack to the Character Attack Tab, I only pointing out the things highlighted by Red.

For a Potion, you'd probably want to go with a Recharge Template.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

@mrwinfree yup!

The first thing to check is this guy:

upload_2019-1-27_12-26-0.png

make sure you're blocking usage of features with exhausted pools. This will cause the consume trigger to fire when an item gets to 0 available usages.

I would suggest using the following format for consumable items (non charge). Set the QUANTITY for the item to be the number of uses you want for a consumable. Set the Usage Template to Charge but set the available charges to either 0 or 1 and the total available to 1.

If you have the automatically block usage of features with exhausted pools checked, either the 0:1 or the 1:1 usage style will consume on use.
    If you do not have that option checked you'll need to use the 0:1 format. As a result, I highly advise folks to use the 0:1 format all the time for consumables which do not use charges. I'll look into fixing this so that way 1:1 always runs consume on usage in a future update. Likely we have a <= where we should have a <.

upload_2019-1-27_12-22-59.png

Note the edit costs button. If you have a feature slotted to an item and the features cost is 0 then it will not debit the charge pool, even if the pool is already zero.

upload_2019-1-27_12-22-37.png