1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

New Templates

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Blueter, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Blueter

Blueter Member

Is it possible to have templates made for Actions, Reactions and Bonus Actions that consume on use but reset at the start of the player/creatures turn automatically? That way you attack (using On Equip and Action template.) Then lets say I go drink a potion that turn also it might has something like no Actions Left? I know an attack can also reaction so maybe need to add a reaction template to a weapon.
    I know this is only effective for 5e but it can't hurt to ask! The reset automatically at the start of the tokens would make it flow smoothly.

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

are you asking for a counter to limit the actions taken by a given player -- or a tracker for the types of actions remaining to a player?

I think the biggest concern with this type of system would be capturing all the possible options available to a player for each of the possible 5e action/reaction/bonus action types.

It's not impossible to build, it's just a massive amount of work for the single game system and would need to be updated anytime a new "type" was added or wanted -- so, tricky!

Something you can do, however, is you could have a script which is set to trigger at the beginning of a round which "rests" the various usage templates on a creature. Using something like this you could either a) attach an effect to your active players which uses the script at hte start of their initiative, or a GM controlled creature which does the same at the start of the round.

Take a look at the script restByTraitName. If it were attached to an effect with an infinite duration, On Equip wouldn't work for this, and cast on each of your in-play creatures, it would fire based on your feature and reset the traits you're tracking. However, they wouldn't specifically debit an action pool when when making an attack or what not.

A lot of what we've done in D20PRO is provide a framework for playing games and we've tried to keep it loose enough that folks can run the game however they want without having to override enforced rules. For example, if you had a fighter who was suddenly gifted with 2 extra arms which granted additional attacks, the player would simply take two additional attacks and life is good. No special anything was required on our or your (GM) part to make that totally arbitrary thing happen. If we enforced an action map similar to spell slots, we'd find ourselves hitting walls a lot more often.

Again, it's not inconceivable to have a tracker which tracks the number of actions taken and what those actions are/were. This might be a better way to handle it and I think it would fit in the Initiative rework concept.

Here's what I'm thinking ( yeah, totally from the hip reply here :p ) -- while in initiative mode; we could provide an action history independent of the game log; this history could use action categories defined by the rules system; spells, traits, and other actions could be assigned a default category but provided with a means to override/assign a new category to the action; We would continue to be less formal in enforcing actions, however, at this point, would be able to show you if someone was exceeding the normal bounds for the given system.

I definitely do not have a timeline on when we'd get to something like this, but the UI rework is coming up and this type of extension to that work could be considered reasonable.

3. Blueter

Blueter Member

Oh boy, you went down the rabbit hole there. Frankly, I wish I was smart enough to have thought about counter that checks off actions, reactions and bonus! I meant more like this...I hit the "B" button and I see charge, recharge ect. ect. I'd like to see one that says Action, reaction and Bonus Action. I click on say, AoO, and it changes everything on the reaction tab form 1/1 to 0/1. A) don't use to reactions before the start of my next turn. B) It automatically reset that tab to Max uses at the start of said creature/players turn.