1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Enhancements to effects

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Pyrroc, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Pyrroc

Pyrroc New Member

So some suggestions on Effects:

1. Each effect should have the capability of its own duration. By default it should inherit the duration of its parent (so as not to break any existing usage), but be capable of having its own calculated duration. Many spell effects have a duration that differs from the duration of the spell.

2. Each effect should be able to add an evaluate capability. If the functions specified in the associated Value field evaluate to true the Effect goes into effect, if false it is canceled for that target. This would be for spells that affect only less than a certain number of hit points, hitdice, level, range of levels, ally vs foe, or whatever conditions needing to be evaluated.

3. Each effect should be able to have its own map template targeting or a way to break inheriting the spell/feature map template. Absent that, a map template should not override an effect that targets the caster.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

1 can already be done, by a controlling Feature that makes use of the 'Feature to run' thus running several features from one Feature, and thus multiple or constrained to the parent duration.

2 can be done via custom scripting. Rules Library->Scripts Library

3 can be done in the same way as point 1 above

If you'd like an example of doing all three operations, I'd be happy to show you on Discord.

3. Pyrroc

Pyrroc New Member

Doesn't that seem a little convoluted? We'll use a spell/feature, add an effect to it, which then has to spawn at least one other feature with an effect on it. Seems like a lot of overhead to add a duration to an effect that differs from the parent. If I used the default inheritance duration, you add the effect to the target with that duration. All I was asking for was an option that says don't use that duration, here's a formula for the new value.

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Honestly, I find it to be extremely powerful and flexible. I can mix and match 'Features' (effects) in any combination I want and tweak those variables (such as duration) to suit my needs in any way I like.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi @Pyrroc, It's a different way of thinking, but yes, the idea of features containing effects which share common elements such as durations and then firing off additional features which can have their own durations is intended to provide a larger level of flexibility.

it is a pretty complex system, no doubt.

You can actually inherit durations, saves and the like from a parent feature -- a lot of this is done this way as there are sooo many variables at the time of casting that we found it difficult to account for all the cases. By allowing those values to be resolved at casting, or trigger, time, we can act on the current duration, save values, etc. at the time the child effect needs to be processed.

Did you end up meeting with Kril for a demo?