1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Playing with a Android tablet or iPad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ScottPAW, Jan 31, 2019.

1. ScottPAW

ScottPAW New Member

Hi all. Is there a way for my players to use their tablets and iPads to connect/use d20pro? We can't seem to find an app or anything. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

2. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

Not a dumb question. At this point there is not an App for the iPad. I am pretty sure there is not an app for Android either. The Surface pro may run the program. IIRC the Surface Pro runs more like a laptop than a tablet. One of the Devs will be along shortly to clarify! They are attentive imps.

3. ScottPAW

ScottPAW New Member

Ahh gotcha. Bummer. For some reason I had thought that they released a build allowing it. Haven't used the program in a while.

Thanks for the info =).

4. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

that may be the case. I do know there have been some tremendous improvements in the program over the past year. The feature you seek may be buried in the past somewhere or may be in the pipeline.

5. Dragonmaster13

The Surface Pro and Samsung Galaxy Book 2 both run D20 Pro with no problems.

6. ScottPAW

ScottPAW New Member

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, yes, D20PRO is able to handle touch input in mouse emulation mode. You can use remote desktop software to push from a desktop to a tablet (ipad/android) but the application would still have to be run from a desktop somewhere for that to work well.

The main reason we do this is system memory and disk memory requirements. D20PRO uses 2 - 4GB of ram optimally (more is great) and can take up a considerable amount of disk space. D20PRO keeps all of its assets local the application so this means maps, videos, token images, etc. all we need to be stored in the tablet OS library somehow -- not undoable, just annoying to manage for all involved.

That being said, native tablet support is planned, just still a ways off.