1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Network Connection

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by DM Swan, May 3, 2019.

1. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

We have our Tuesday evening game tonight. Firewalls have been disabled. I'll report on our connectivity soon.

2. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

As usual, when the fourth person connects (Brumpo is #4 - on a Mac), we get log file errors. They were able to connect, but lots of errors. Attached.

Attached Files:

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Lots of this in the log

[21 May 2019 17:32:55,375] ERROR Channel_GameAndMap | tripped setting pause state
    com.mindgene.transport.exceptions.NotConnectedException: Specified Client is not connected: "Brumpo" (/98.246.46.152:64243)

It implies to me, that the client can not be reached for some reason, blocked port, firewall or the like that is preventing the two applications (yours and theirs) from communicating properly.

and I could be wrong here but it goes like this.

Client attempts a connection with the host. This is an outbound call for the client not a problem.
    Host registers that connection and sends a response (this is outbound for the host, but it is inbound for the client)
    The client has something preventing inbound (firewall perhaps), Client never sends back a reply to the host query because it never received the host ping.
    Host flags the client as unreachable and the error above is produced.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Can you send the log from the client machine?

5. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

I've asked the player that played "Brumpo" to upload their log file or Email to me. Hopefully we can get that posted today.

I find it interesting that we seem to start having issues once a 4th player connects (no matter who the players are). And then player #5 has a very hard time connecting (fatal errors trying to connect to game). Once we finally got everyone connected, things went better - just slow. And I had all my firewalls (router and Windows) turned off for our session.

6. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

I heard from our player and he will try to upload the log file after work (that laptop is at home).

Also - would it be possible to set up a test from some of your techs and see what happens? It would be nice to have at least 5 client connections and a mix of Mac and PC. That should give us some good information and may give us a better clue to the problem.

7. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Does D20Pro really use Ping to detect a connection? Don't most computers that sit behind a NAT router block Ping requests? That might explain the problem. The host and client can talk as port 10101 is allowed through the router, but ping requests are blocked causing multiple errors. Is that a possibility?

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Ping as is a term for any relay communications request.
    Not ping in the sense of an Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Echo Request.

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

The msg implies the Host can not com with the client, not that the client can not com with the host. (so the issue is most likely client side)

10. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Here is the client log file from Tuesday night. Getting the following error over and over again. This happens to be a Mac client. Again, he was able to connect (4th client in the game)- but all these errors starting slowing down the game. And then the 5th client to connect had to try 4-5 times before connecting (Fatal exception error).

ERROR DecisionQueueVC | Unsupported operation while decision plens

Attached Files:

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Let's also try this just to ensure all players do not have any corrupted game data in their cache.

Have all players;

Navigate to the D20PRO installations folder and then to /players/campaigns/

In that folder should be some hash named folders that contain the host game data cache.

Delete those hash named folders so the directory is empty.

Have each player connect and redownload the host game data.
    Wait until the player can see the open map and you can not see any hourglass indicators prior to the next player attempting to join the session.

12. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

OK - We had our next game session this evening. After clearing the player campaign folders and then connecting, things worked a bit better. We did notice quite a slow down when the 5th person connected (PC name = Berazni). But, he was on a very slow connection this evening - so the errors in the attached logs may be a result of his slow connection.

We have another game on Saturday - with everyone local. We will see how the connection is for that group.

Attached Files:

#52 DM Swan, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  13. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

FYI - We are playing our monthly Saturday game. Three players are local, one player is remote. Firewalls are off, player/campaigns folders are deleted. Again, fourth player to connect has issues. He has to restart D20Pro 3-4 times before it connects. This is a pattern that happens in all our games - no matter who the players are. Once we are all finally connected, things are working OK. A little slow, but OK.

14. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I'm at a loss, my guts says it has to be something client side..

I have 5-7 players connect every week for multiple sessions, never see this kind of occurrence.

I'm not saying it isn't happening to you, just weird and hard to track down (re-create the issue)

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

That part is extremely strange

16. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Yes, it is very strange. We have been using D20Pro for many years and never had many issues until version 3.6.x came out. The only other thing I can think of is a bandwidth issue. My Internet speed (where the game is hosted) is not super fast (8-9 mps download and 2-3 mps upload). Maybe it is just maxing out the bandwidth when 4+ players are connected. And perhaps, the hosting service and sessions (once they are live) could alleviate that slowdown. Thanks for your help.

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

All this does is route traffic, it won't affect data load and bandwidth.

18. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

It is happening again. As soon as the 4th person connects - errors start to happen. Very strange behavior.

Actually the player was able to connect on his 2nd try. And no new errors at the moment. We will see what happens when player #5 connects.

Attached Files:

#58 DM Swan, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  19. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Yep - more errors when player #5 connects (PC Name = Doderic).

After he finally connected, 2nd try, things seem to be working better. No new errors in the log.

Attached Files:

#59 DM Swan, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  20. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Can you post a log from one of the clients as well pls?