1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Network Connection

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by DM Swan, May 3, 2019.

1. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

So the host saying 'Socket closed';
    [18 Jun 2019 17:54:10,558] WARN AbstractTransmitter | Error Sending message. Closing Connection. java.net.SocketException: Socket closed

A "socket closed" error means that the connection has been terminated, however, no specific reason was provided/returned.
    The "socket closed" error indicates that the connection was lost outside of the control or awareness of the Driver.

There can be a number of reasons for that, for example:
    • network failure
    • firewall timeout
    • account permissions
    So, I could be wrong here.. But this says to me, the Host says "hey client?", the client doesn't respond, so the host closes the connection/socket.

So, I'd start by checking to two problem clients, ensure they do not have anything like a firewall or security suite, permission system denying the traffic inbound/outbound via the application.

2. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

The other prominent error logged which is also related to traffic is;

[18 Jun 2019 17:53:55,757] ERROR MasterConnectionListener | Failed to wield DecryptPacket com.mindgene.transport.exceptions.LocalException: Timed-out waiting on response for request: Request (1428): fetchCryptPacket [sync]

3. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

A validation of this would be to launch the host, then on another machine on your LAN, launch 5 instances of the client and connect to the host. That should answer and remove the question of the host being the issue.

I wouldn't suggest this but in an extreme testing situation.. but it will validate that it is not the host that is at fault.

4. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

NOTE - after the clients connected (took 2 tries for clients 4 & 5), things ran smoothly tonight for the entire 3 hours. A few additional error messages, but not many. I'll try the multiple client instances to test.

5. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Have server running. Connecting 5 client to server (using same machine at the moment). Will try with a different machine next. First 3 clients connect. Fourth client gets the below error. Second try worked. Fifth client connected. No additional errors.

Unexpected fatal exception.
    Failed to accessCampaign from Judge
    Caused by: Timed-out waiting on response for request: Request (1): accessCampaign() [sync].

Attached Files:

6. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

OK - Did a test on my LAN with a different computer (older Mac with OS X) as the client (opened 5 instances) and my normal Windows computer as the server. 1st, 3rd, and 4th client connected first try. 2nd client had to try 3 times before connecting (got Unexpected fatal error). 5th client has to try 5 times before connecting. Here are the logs - first one is server log file, 2nd one is client log file after client 5 finally connected.

Attached Files:

#66 DM Swan, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

K, that is -really- weird

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

[18 Jun 2019 21:57:22,833] FATAL LivePanel_LaunchAbstract | Unexpected fatal exception
    com.sengent.common.control.exception.UserVisibleException: Failed to accessCampaign from Judge

So, something is preventing the client and host comms there

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

and on the host side, it is saying the same though in different terms

[18 Jun 2019 21:41:02,035] ERROR EnhancedGameParticipantPanel | Dude not found: Client1
    [18 Jun 2019 21:49:20,271] ERROR EnhancedGameParticipantPanel | Dude not found: Client2
    [18 Jun 2019 21:49:40,123] ERROR MasterConnectionListener | Failed to wield DecryptPacket
    com.mindgene.transport.exceptions.LocalException: Timed-out waiting on response for request: Request (27): fetchCryptPacket [sync]

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

If you wouldn't mind, we might be able to try some connections live from us to you and from you to us.. in real time (though probably not tonight obviously).. but at an organized time).. Are you on Discord?

See if we can get a better idea of what is happening, first hand

11. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

A live test sounds like a plan. I'm home most days, so my time is flexible. I'm in pacific time zone. We use Skype, don't have discord installed.

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

If it isn't a pain, please hit us up here (there is a web only version) http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM

If not I can try to get Skype going again, but it's been very hit and miss for me and Win10 the last several times I have tried using it.

13. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

I am on your Discord site now. Ready to do some testing if you are available.

14. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you folks do any testing on this? Would be interested in getting the final answer up here if there was one.

That being said, the new network stuff isn't ready yet ... I'm working on it, but juggling with the other tasks so it's slow going.

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

We were able to recreate the issue. I'm at a loss as to it's cause though, even after pouring through several clients and host logs. and it is specific to this user as a host, not all hosts as I and many others routinely have no issues with 6-7 clients. It's very strange indeed.

16. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Very strange indeed. There does seem a correlation with number of people connected and network traffic though. Even after people are connected, we get tons of connection errors that really slows down the game. The users don't actually lose connection, things just get real slow.

17. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

For what it's worth I have the exact same issue. I have recently been having my players connect first, and then I have my local machine connect last. Even though my machine is within my home network, as the 5th computer joining it has that same error. Usually after trying several times, eventually, I get in.

But the culprit is the same, everyone else can get in (more or less) with little trouble. But once we get to the 4th person, the login errors appear. It doesn't matter the order or who is where. Even my own machine connecting to itself is having issues if it's the last one trying to connect.

18. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

We are looking into it and trying to determine the root cause. These two incidents seem similar, but I suspect the cause behind them is different. The parameters, hardware and such are vastly different.

19. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Another thing I've noticed every once in awhile, is a connected user will show as "Not Connected" in the game log list of players - although from their end, they are connected, and can move the character and everything.

Also - even when everyone is connected (with very few log file errors), things are very slow. For example, when a player (or the DM) moves a character or advances to the next person in initiative, it takes a good 2-3 seconds to refresh. And this even happens when we are all on the local network. In fact, one strange thing that happens when a character or monster dies (using the D20Pro damage) - I get the "dead" sound on my host computer first - and then several seconds later, the local users get the sound on their computers.

So something is causing a huge amount of network traffic. Maybe something with the Java, but who knows. Again - I've been playing with this same group and D20Pro for many years. We only started noticing the issues somewhere in the 3.6.x versions of D20Pro. Was there any kind of network/Java/etc. connectors changed at that point???

And just a FYI - things ran a bit better when we were using Sessions instead of TCP/IP. But it is very strange that we have slow down issues even when everybody is on a local network too.

Thanks for continue to investigate this. Being a former network admin at a university, I know these types of issues can be very hard to figure out.

20. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

I did a little test today using Task Manager and tracking CPU, Memory, and Power Usage. As soon as I started D20Pro, the CPU usage jumped up to around 40% while the memory usage jumped to 15%. The Power usage jumped to very high. After just letting the program sit there for awhile, things calmed down a little bit - but things still jumped around (CPU 10 - 20%, Memory 10 - 15%, Power usage Moderate - Very High). I then connected a client with D20Pro using my same machine. Things jumped even higher with the CPU jumping over 100% a few times. Once I let things sit for awhile, things were better, but still high: (CPU 15 - 30%, Memory 15 - 30%, Power usage Moderate - Very High).

The only other program that showed jumps was the Windows Defender Antivirus Service. It would spike occasionally and then settle back down.

So this would explain why we are having so many issues connecting when we have 4-6 players. CPU, Memory, and Power usage are running out of control. In comparison, when running MapTool - I would get a quick jump when maps and tokens were first loaded, but it would quickly settle in at (CPU 10 - 15%, Memory 15 - 25%, Power usage Low - Moderate). And the Windows Defense Antivirus Service didn't spike nearly as high or as often with MapTools.

Hope that helps isolate the problem a little bit more. Something in the Java/D20Pro software is causing huge CPU and Power usage spikes.