1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Announcement on Lobby change to Steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golldan, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Golldan

Golldan Member

So with the coming change to Steam for Lobby handling, are there any more details you can add, beyond the posted announcement... Like will we need Steam accounts, will the UI be that much different...documentation?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I'm sorry but I just do not know at this point, the UI should be similar to what is currently in place. Off the top of my head, yes I suspect Steam Accounts would be a requirement of using that option.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So the UI does have some shiny new options although I'm still working on how to properly implement them in D20PRO.

If you link up D20PRO with a steam account, you'll be able to use the Steam servers to host a game session for other folks to join. Yes, this service will require steam accounts (which are free to make). The intention here is to provide a service which everyone can use and the fees for said service are taken out of license sales.

PubNub was charging a tremendous amount per transaction for D20PRO and so we'd have to have moved to a subscription model to support it going forward. To avoid that, we were looking at other ways to both solve this networking issue and grow the community. Steam seemed like a good place for both.

As I get farther along on the development, I'll post screenshots. the first is below and shows the chat and steam overlay (shift + tab) option in use.
    This effectively lets you set up steam based voice over IP calls directly from within the application if you so desire. You don't have to leave the overlay open to keep the chat live either. It stays active in the background.

upload_2019-2-25_14-28-4.png

4. Golldan

Golldan Member

So, the announcement said that Feb 28th the system would be off for some updates. I logged in today, and did not note any changes, so is this still a pending change to be implemented at a future date?

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It was left on for a day or so for people to transition to 3.7.7 but asl not to Tbone someones in surprise if they didn't see the announcement and ruin their game this weekend. So the official cut off date was the 28th yes, Owlbear left it on over the weekend to ease the shock of change.

6. Golldan

Golldan Member

OK, so the important bits are that Owlbear is able to keep both instances running through this weekend. So Monday it will officially change over?

Second bit, is that on Monday, everyone will need to upgrade to 3.7.7 to be able to get in?

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You don't technically have to update, tho if you don't and you try to make use of the Lobby, obviously it won't connect. 3.7.7 doesn't have a Lobby option at all (until we get Steam ready).

8. Golldan

Golldan Member

So updated to 3.7.8 and as far as I can tell we need to use the TCP/IP connection process - correct? So no steam set up yet, or do we need to go in via Steam? Using the IP address and 3.7.8 seems to be a bit more sluggish than 3.7.6 was.

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

correct Steam is not currently ready for prime time. You need to use direct TCP/IP in the interim.

10. Golldan

Golldan Member

So it has been a few months now, any word on using Steam as a lobby?

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

They encountered some code bit of rough spot, in getting the two things to speak to each other, it is currently still being worked on.

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

13. Golldan

Golldan Member

Any update on this?

I am finding that connecting via IP for my group is variable at best. We have only been able to have half our sessions actually connect and play on D20Pro. Granted, it is some Firewall or setting that we can not consistently have set properly. Some of my players are very tech savvy, and we are not able to track down what/how to connect every week, it gets frustrating. It would be great to have the log in/lobby process in place gain.

14. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello @Golldan -- The Lobby update is underway. Steam isn't going to work for a number of reasons so I've been working on creating a new option using RabbitMQ via Google Cloud. this seems to be working well in testing -- next is the actual building of the D20PRO transport layer. Soon as this is up, we should be able to wire this back into the lobby UI we had previously to get folks started again quickly. After that we can work on a full update to the lobby mechanic and capabilities as well.

I had a pretty major drive failure about a week ago and have been rebuilding my development station -- this has impaired the progress somewhat as well, but I should be back in the saddle on this task this week.

15. Golldan

Golldan Member

Any update on this?

I am finding that connecting via IP for my group is variable at best. We have only been able to have one player in our sessions actually connect and play on D20Pro. Granted, it is some Firewall or setting that we can not consistently have set properly. Some of my players are very tech savvy, and we are not able to track down what/how to connect every week, it gets frustrating. It would be great to have the log in/lobby process in place again.

16. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

As far as I am aware, there is good progress being made, but it's not ready for prime time.

17. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

i'm excited to get that piece of function back too! The constant travel and hotel internet is really starting to crimp my style.

18. Golldan

Golldan Member

Hows the progress on this going?

19. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

it's going fairly well as far as I know. Should be beta testing fairly soon'ish.

20. Golldan

Golldan Member

Any update on this?