1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

High Def Display Scaling

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by nullcron, Aug 12, 2019.

1. nullcron

nullcron New Member

My high definition display scales most programs but not D20 Pro. What can I do to scale the program up so I can read the text?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Are you running on Windows?

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi @nullcron -- Java 8 does not respond to scaling of elements for windows High Def scaling options as well as we (or Oracle for that matter) would like.

In 3.7.9-RC# releases, we've added a full font selector option to allow for controlling the user and chat font with font preview -- this allows for selecting a font which makes the visual elements of the application more functional on the high res displays (4k+)

The below screenshot is taken on my 4k development monitor I'm using Roboto at 18 point for my font. Not all the elements update yet, but this catches nearly all of the screen elements. You can add custom fonts to the java virtual machine (JVM) by dropping the true-type font (ttf) files into D20PRO/jre/lib/fonts directory -- Java is unable to load fonts from the operating system natively, however, you can copy any fonts you'd like java to know about into this directory!

upload_2019-8-12_18-40-17.png

RC2 is available here but is not a full release yet: http://pubs.d20pro.com/Public_Beta/3.7.9-RC2/

4. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

I have tried this with some success, find the short cut in the explorer window and right click and go to properties.

upload_2019-8-12_19-6-15.png

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

yup, that is what I was gonna suggest, why I had asked if you were on Windows :)

6. HippyCraig

HippyCraig Member

Krillion showed me this a few weeks ago and its been working well.

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's the text version of the instructions:

(taken from https://pivotce.com/2017/12/11/fix-java-applications-for-high-dpi-display/)

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Combine that with the new font selection bits and you've got a super nice winning combo!

9. nullcron

nullcron New Member

I have not had any luck getting the fonts to change, but the windows res setting worked.

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member