1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by KainPen, Aug 3, 2019.

1. KainPen

KainPen Member

I am getting this strange bug with after going to edit character the menu bar pops up in side the other windows making them un-readable. including screen shot

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

this is almost always video driver and/or DirectX related ensure both are fully up to date
    if you are running a beta driver step back one iteration

3. KainPen

KainPen Member

All drivers are up to-date. I rolled them back and just to test 1 version. Doing clean Nvida Driver install with older one still happen. I have old version of d20pro 3.7.2.9 Beta in a different directory when I run that version. The Glitch does not happen. I am going to roll it up version by version and seen when it breaks. *edit * Ok just test bunch of version looks like 3.7.6 Rc1 is last version that does not do this bug to me. When I tried 3.7.1 it was worse it was evening doing it at loading screen. every other version it is just on editing creature screen. Do you guys need anything to trouble shoot this?

#3 KainPen, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It is almost always a DirectX issue, grab the latest full installer, not the web installer

5. KainPen

KainPen Member

Gave that a shot, did not work, still same problem. I also updated to 1903 version of widows 10. This allowed me to installed 3.7.9-RC2 and not have that version lock up. But I am still getting the problem. I have Geforce GTX1070ti. any know issues with that card?

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

7. KainPen

KainPen Member

yeah i tried that already, but downloaded that an ran it again. Still no go, but I did find something strange this time. This time is stead of runing pathfinder 2nd edition play-test template. I created a completely blank campaign. and that effect did not happen when i loaded map and created a creature, and went to edit the creature. but it does happen in the option screen only. I thought that was really strange so I loaded the playtest template again. the problem repeated exactly as I 1st noticed it. on creature edit screen. So I have no clue what is causing it. it got to be some kind of bug with my video card and what ever the app does with that template and the option screen. I am going test it on the new machine just I built to run GM game from (the old one died my poor nuc). I been testing on my daily every use machine. I often build my games on that machine then copy everything to the lower spec machine to run them from. I will let you know how that works.

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I can assure you this isn't a bug with your video card specifically. It is definitely a java 8 issue. If you run from the batch file we include (which disabled directx support) the UI-repeat bug will go away. This is why we can safely say that the issue is in Direct X implementations.

However, as I discovered on the floor at Gen Con, the recent updates from both ATI and NVidia include the bugged Direct X directives once again... so other than using the batch file currently, I'm not sure how to resolve it. Kril and I will keep plugging away at it. And I have filed reports with both ATI and NVidia about the resurgence of this java issue.

Keep in mind, even we we launch 3.7.9 later this month, this will not prevent the need to use the D20PRO.bat file for launch on windows if you're video card driver is having this UI repeat issue.

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

yeah.. appologies... it has always been that some windows update or such changed what was included and installed with DX.. So getting an installing the Redist DX installer (because the web installer does not force install) almost always totally fixed this up.