1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Hero lab import not working

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Dick G, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Dick G

Dick G New Member

I can not find the d20pro.log file from the d20pro installation folder.

I am trying to import hero lab files to the creature library.

I saved the output file in hero lab to .hld20 files. In the content library panel in d20pro, I selected the creature library icon. When I click the button, it depresses and nothing happens. No error messages or windows. The button changes color and that is all.

Is the issue repeatable? Yes, it happens every time.
    what OS you are using? I am using windows 10.
    what rules system are you using? Pathfinder 1e.
    what version of the software are you using? Version 3.7.8

I tried toggling the native file chooser box, that didn't help.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I believe the supported HL export type to Import is .por.

Clicking the Import button should pull up a dialog of buttons to pick an Import type, once the type is clicked, it should change/switch to a File picker dialog.

If D20PRO is not doing that, it suggests something is wrong with your installation.

I'd suggest a fresh install and see if that clears things up for you.

3. Dick G

Dick G New Member

Thank you. That was it. Just a clean install. I was stressing over this. I can't thank you enough.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

np, happy to serve.

5. MattBridger35777

MattBridger35777 New Member

In a similar vein, I have used d20Pro 3.7.8 to import characters from a HeroLab portfolio and noticed a few things that I hope you can help with.
    -Characters that have mounts, animal companions or familiars are imported into the Creature Library but not the companion creatures themselves. There appears to be no option to import them.
    -Two of the imported characters had the classes Investigator and Bloodrager. Even though these classes appear in the Class list, they imported as having no class at all.

Am I doing something wrong?

As ever, any and all assistance given is greatly appreciated.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

IIrc.. companions and such need to be in their own .por file
    as for the classes, the HL and class name in D20PRO must match exactly...

7. MattBridger35777

MattBridger35777 New Member

The unfortunate issue here appears to be that in Hero Lab you can't export the companion creatures, only the primary character they're attached to. They're treated as one and the same. So, for example, I have a Cavalier with a Mount. When I try and select Export Hero to New Portfolio in Hero Lab, the Mount doesn't appear as an option, only the character it appears attached to. So I can't actually export the companion creatures to their own POR file.
    However, I can still Output the companion creatures as a .hl2d20pro, .html or .xml file.