1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated Server.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zieleniuk, Jun 14, 2011.

1. zieleniuk

zieleniuk New Member

I have a server at rackspace i would like to run d20 pro from, and be able to connect to it and DM, instead of running the game from my laptop, is this supported?

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I know it will run off of a thumb drive.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

So, you have a server that you will run d20Pro as Judge, then have your players connect to your server's IP.

Will you be doing a type of VNC to run the Judge server from your laptop to approve player's actions?

If so, that should work.

4. heinrich_k

heinrich_k New Member

Well, I would like to run d20pro on an ubuntu server with no gui, and connect to is from my laptop as GM, if that is possible....

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

D20PRO is a Host/Client application. There are no dedicated server options at this time.

In Theory, though, you could tunnel (VM and/or Remote Desktop software) into a server or another machine and run the application virtually that way from that other machine.

6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Correct, currently you cannot run in a headless, dedicated mode. We have had a lot of requests to add the ability to DM remotely -- i.e. anyone in with a GM license hosts, and assigns GM status to a remote player. The main reason this doesn't work right now is resource control. Players do not have access to the needed resources to host a game, while the GM does.

That being said, depending on the system at Rackspace, you could host from it and X11 forward the GM console.