1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.7.8 Win10 High CPU usage

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by DM Swan, Aug 7, 2019.

1. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

The 30% CPU load is at idle. So when other programs are also running (Hero Lab, Chrome, etc.) along with D20Pro, then the load is higher and simple things like moving a character on the map can make things spike to over 100%. That is what make game play slow. I don't know if that is related to our connection issues or not. But ever since D20Pro version 3.6.x and up, we have had slow game play and bad connectivity.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

So D20PRO is spiking to over 100%, or just load in general is spiking because of the other apps?

3. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Occasionally D20Pro will spike in the 70-80% range (I haven't found a pattern as to when it does this). So that, plus other programs spike the total over 100%. At idle, D20Pro sits in the 29-33% range.

4. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Just as a comparison - when we used Maptool for our game on Thursday (same players, same map, same computers, etc.), everyone connected immediately. Game play was pretty fast with a few minor delays. And we were using vision blocking and various lights. When I check the CPU usage with Maptool, it will spike up into the 30-40% range on startup and then 15-25% when players are moving around the map. But at idle, Maptool sits at 0-2%. Why does D20Pro sit at 29-33% when idle. That seems like a problem to me. And we would like to use the lighting, masks, walls, etc. in D20Pro - but that slows things down so much it is unusable. Our group would love to continue using D20Pro - we like the interface and the integration with Hero Lab. But the connectivity and speed issues are going to force us to change over to something else.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey DM Swan. the bump to 20 - 30% for CPU load in D20PRO came in when we added support for animated assets. this requires having an active game loop which means we're redrawing the map multiple times per second -- thus a higher than MapTools load.

I'll admit the load doesn't usually spike very high on Windows even when running a video map backgrounds running. Below is an example of my load with a 1920x1080 video map playing along with several open windows

upload_2019-8-12_17-54-4.png

This example shows a 2D map with 4 lights blending and a total load of 10.9% -- this spikes to just shy of 20% when moving tokens around but then drops back down. Again, the load is due to the update pass happening on the map to handle any animations and blends for the light and map layers.

upload_2019-8-12_18-1-48.png

The load can increase significantly if the VM is not provided with a sufficient amount of memory -- In recent updates, we've set the default to 2 GB for VM memory. And if you're running multiple instances of the application from the same system, it can be taxing.

That being said, on Windows and Linux, performance tends to be very good for a frame buffered 30 - 60 fps 2D rendering engine.

If I can figure out a way to make D20PRO suspend to a 0% state, I'll certainly jump on the opportunity. In the meantime, I think we're doing pretty good on load (sorry OSX folks, still debugging your side of things!)

All of that being said, 3.7.9 has some significant improvements along all load and speed lines. It should be ready for full release by the end of the month and is current in RC2:

http://pubs.d20pro.com/Public_Beta/3.7.9-RC2/

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

One more for ya!

upload_2019-8-12_18-11-5.png

Video of the system in action is available over here:

https://imgur.com/a/A18LKls

Worth noting. The GM experience is slower to respond than the PC experience. This is due to the transparent overlay the GM renders. And that the GM is tracking everything possible on the map, rather than just PC allowable content.

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

9. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

FYI - All of our groups have migrated over to MapTool for our game play. We enjoyed using D20Pro, but the changes mentioned above basically broke the software for us (connection issues, slow speeds, etc.). We might check back in every few months or so and see how things are working at D20Pro (maybe a D20Pro lite - that strips away the animated assets and focuses more on token movement/lighting/vision blocking). Good luck.

Golldan likes this.
  10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the post -- Between holidays and discord, I hadn't made it back to the forums for a while. MapTools is a fine piece of kit and has come a long way. It's where I started before taking over for Thraxxis and I'd never steer someone away from it.

that being said, 3.8 is about to launch with massive speed improvements -- Ended up, as happens with large packages, some of the speed issues we encountered were external library issues. Fortunately that's all resolved and then some.

Token movement is still getting polished to be faster so there will be more improvements as I gut the aged networking code and re-write for a faster infrastructure.

11. KainPen

KainPen Member

Owlbear, I still have the java bug with menu flickering if I run the EXE provided. The running the bat file fixes that problem as you guys suggested in another thread. But If i try to run bat file as administrator. I get the following error. Any suggestion only dealing with both problems?

Attached Files: