1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Pre-Sized Maps for D20Pro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyderak, Aug 13, 2010.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

Hey guys,

Is there any plans to sell map packs that are pre-sized to perfectly fit D20Pro?

Maybe even pre-made adventures complete with Pre-sized maps, Pre-made creatures, Pre-made NPC's, Pre-made Spells, and Pre-made player handouts.
    Possibly even narrated DM descriptive text as read by SEAN CONNERY!!!.......kidding about that last part. (would be cool though) Would'nt be too hard to get some shmoe to narrate what is going on in the adventure and save it as a audio file. Then the DM would just play the audio file when prompted during the adventure.

You could always hit up some 3rd party publishers to create these adventures for you.

Yeah I know what your thinking. This guys nuts. My mind is always generating ideas. Some good some GREAT!! And some you just ask yourself, "What the hell was he thinking?!?!?!"

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

There is a free premade adventure off the main site Kobolds Revenge actually.

We have been batting this idea around, and I personally think it would be a great idea for us to build and sell modules already made. With the campaign system we have not it would make it easy. Just unzip the folder into the campaigns folder and for the user instant made campaign.

If users like the idea I will push to get it done. I would like to hear from all the users, what do you think would be a fair price for presetup modules?

Here are the categories to tell us what you would be willing to pay for a pre-packged module.
    1. Short length: Aka the one nighter, something that is finished in a few hours, like Pathfinder Society modules(http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/...hfinderSocietyScenarios/season1/v5748btpy8dai).

2. Medium length: Modules that are build from level X - Y that take maybe 10 play sessions to complete. Good examples of these would be Rise of The Ruin Lords Chapter 6 Spires of Xin-Shalasthttp://paizo.com/pathfinder/v5748btpy817c

3. Campaign: All of medium length modules of a seires like Rise of the Ruin Lords, Age or Worms, The Shackled City, etc.

FYI the more input we get the sooner something like this could happen.

3. KainPen

KainPen Member

would not mind doing any size. adventure you put out like medium - large. Short ones i most often put those as side quest in the middle of a campaign. So lower level players can get lost levels or anything like that restore.

I would love to actual see some Old TSR adventure but i am sure the legality of it. obviously you guys would have edit them to 3.5 rules since that is your base and redo maps.

you guys may want to talk to Wizards about the idea of using some of their adventures.Those would have to cost more then the one you guys make because of copy rights and what not.

I would pay 5-7 bucks for medium size 9-12 for large one, Small ones 3 bucks. 15-17 bucks for a super size adventure like under mountain.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

I think it would be a good idea for us to approach WotC and Paizo and others about providing digital content. Since it is copy written we would need full approval and of course they would get their cut.

Before we can approach them we would need to have a good sample of users feelings on how much they would be willing to pay.

If we can get a good feel of what our users would be willing to pay, I do not see why they would not be willing to. It is more money for them for no more work. It is a win win for everybody.

Thanks for your input KainPen.

I would like if every user would please comment on this thread.

5. Tivaan

Tivaan New Member

Yes premade mods would be awesome

The old TSR mods like
    G1-3 Against the Giants
    or the Drow series
    The Slaver series
    and the lists go on and on

(Especially if they were updated to 4E) that would be uber cool
    For a series like that i would pay 15 bucks a piece for them

:p

6. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

I would definitely be interested if the quality was good on these. And as a matter of fact this is kind of what I am working on myself. I am working on a campaign I have been creating for far to many years and making it into a PDf with all the maps and stats and background just as a Published PDF from "real" publishers but adding the map images and token images and what not along with it.

7. Micco

Micco New Member

If you made a fully- ready-to-play version of a complete Paizo Adventure Path Module I'd pay well for it. I'd guess I'd expect to pay around $25 - $30 if you did it very well. Frankly, considering the hours I'd save, you'd likely be able to talk me out of a lot more...maybe as much as $50 if it was truly top-notch and absolutely ready to play. Of course, I'm in the 'more money than time' category of busy gamers with families and high-pressure jobs. I'm sure there are plenty who'd protest loudly at paying $30 for a module, so you'd need to look at your price sensitivity to find the optimal pricing model.

For $30 I'd assume that we'd get:
    - High Resolution maps that are properly scaled to the grid and look professional. The current maps from Paizo are typically 27 px/5' square. I've been begging to sell me the maps at higher resolution (say at least 50px/5' sq) in addition to what I pay for the adventure for a while now. But I don't think they 'get' dispersed gaming groups and VTT's yet. If I was dreaming, the maps would be done at 100px/5' square with no objects embedded on the background. All objects (furniture, trees, fences, doors) would be objects on some type of object layer (once you get layers going...hint hint.) ;)
    - All creatures done with nice graphics and full descriptions of special abilities, etc.
    - The adventure text built into objects that the GM can click on to get the Read Aloud text and (privately) information about the room, encounter, etc.
    - Electronic versions of the handouts in the game and pictures of the key NPCs and Scenes given in the AP.
    - While voice acting isn't needed (or even wanted by me), a few short clips of appropriate music could add a nice touch. Definitely lowest on my list, however!

I love the idea (most particularly if you create modules against the PF series!)

I would be all over it if you did. In fact, can you get Pathfinder 33 done by the end of next week? :p

8. cyderak

cyderak Member

I think I am in the same boat as Micco in the respect that I think High quality, medium sized Pre-made adventures is something I would definitly pay for. Maybe 20.00 to 25.00.

The one session adventures could still be High quality, just shorter. Could go for 10.00 to 15.00.

Theres other possibilities too.
    --User created adventures Contests. The submitted content would be gone over with a fine tooth comb and maybe even polished up for sale and the winner would get a free copy of the polished version of the adventure along with credit for the content and maybe even credit twards future purchases in the D20 pro online store.

--Setup 3 different Polls for D20 Pro users to take on the D20Pro website homepage to see what the general opinion is on Pre-made adventures. One Poll on Large multi-session pre-made adventures pricing, another Poll on medium pre-made adventures pricing, and One Poll on one session pre-made adventures pricing.

--Setup a separate downloads page for user created content so users don't have to skim through all the forums to find shared content.

--Setup a user submitted LINKS page that has to be approved by the D20Pro staff in order to be placed on the site as a trusted LINK. Links that have applicable content to be used with D20Pro.

Like I said........I got alot of ideas floating around ..............Thanks for letting me get them off my brain.....Hehehehe.

Later

9. Dan

Dan Member

We certainly want to go in that direction. As a teaser, you might want to check out the Rise of the Runelords maps that I've been working on. This is a 3.5 Paizo adventure that I've been converting to 4E and I've been putting all of my digital files onto my 4E project site. I have the 1st adventure in d20pro format. Of course, you need the actual adventure to fully use the maps, as they are mostly focused on the battles.
    http://sites.google.com/a/educatedgamer ... /Home/rotr

Notice also that I've included KMZ files for Google Earth, so that my players can easily browse Sandpoint's points of interest. Also included are custom handouts and so on, particularly for the Skinsaw Murders.
    http://sites.google.com/a/educatedgamer ... aw-Murders

Feedback is appreciated, in particular your thoughts about purchasing packages like these. My thoughts are that a customer could buy the PDF for one price and buy the Premium Digital Content Pack as an addon The Content pack could come with high-res d20pro maps, handouts, images for creatures, scenes, etc and maybe even Google Earth or Sketchup files, like I put together for the Temple of Elemental Evil!
    http://educatedgamer.net/toee_grounds.htm