1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Can not load from .exe, can not register from bat

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by checksix, Nov 3, 2009.

1. checksix

checksix New Member

Windows 7, x64.

JRE 1.6 x64 update 17.

Can not run from exe. Program silently dies, no errors.

Running from the .BAT file will not allow me to register.

After creating a login, I clicked download on the license file.

I received the error:
    Unable to download license.
    Caused by:
    licenses\license_checksix(d20Pro_Trial_2.0.0).txt (Access denied).

I've tried running the bat file as administator, same problem.

I've tried running exe as administrator. Program silently dies.

How do I solve this problem?

2. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi Checksix,

We will be looking into this asap and have an answer for you shortly.

Best regards,

Nick

3. checksix

checksix New Member

So...what exactly does shortly mean where you come from?

4. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi Checksix,

My apologies on our delay. We have begun looking into your problem but we cannot seem to reproduce it at this time. We have checked many different aspects of this and we are currently running d20Pro using Windows 7. I played in a test game last night where the GM was running Windows 7 (with I believe the rest of your set up as well). I will remind our code development team of this issue and get back to you when I can.

As soon as we have an answer and a hopefully a solution, you will be advised.

Sorry for the delay,

Nick

5. Dan

Dan Member

I'm running d20pro on WIndows 7, 64 bit, and I can say that I've not had this problem. Perhaps you could try different versions of Java (32 bit vs 64 bit) - I'm running the 32 bit Java.

Try that and see if it helps.

6. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met checksix,

This is a most perplexing OS issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Either the particular blend of your Windows OS + the Java you have installed is broken. Or perhaps you've enabled some security software that is blocking d20Pro from writing to disk.

I will contact you directly with to discuss few ideas for getting past the strange (Access denied) error. From what it appears the d20Pro software isn't doing anything wrong, your operating system just won't let it write to the disk.

Note: I've seen this problem on a Mac if you attempt to run from within the .dmg archive file instead of extracting the .app.

7. carrion_crawler

carrion_crawler New Member

I am having the exact same problem. Was this issue ever resolved?

Windows 7

Java Version 1.6.0_21

Both 64 Bit.

8. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

I'm running Win7 x64, with ONLY the java 64bit update 21 installed (no other java installation). I don't have this error.

I would advise you to check several things first:

1) How many versions of java are you running? Check add/remove programs (you know, just Programs in Win7) and the java control panel.

2) Can you launch other java applications successfully? (not java script, mind you).

3) what happens when you type "java -version" in a command line?

4) Any messages in the error logs in windows?

5) Finally, it looks like something happened with the licenses, can you completely uninstall and reinstall the program from a new download? Then try to download your licenses again.

Post the results, so we can see what might fix this.

9. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

If "exact same problem" includes the error message about d/l the license, the problem may very well have to do with "permissions".

I have found that the easiest fix, is to not install d20pro in it's default location; but rather install it as a subdirectory of C: (I use C:\Mindgene\D20pro).

Windows (Vista and 7) can be very cranky about applications installed into subdirectories of C:\Program Files.

Your exe/bat issues sound similar to what I encountered when I first started using the software. Moving the install to a new location, resolved all of my problems.

On that note, D20pro is very install friendly. You can just cut/paste the install to the new location ...

10. Dan

Dan Member

Yep, one easy way to test the permissions is to copy/move the d20pro folder to some place like your My Documents, Desktop or even a flash/USB drive and see if it works then. If it does, it's a Windows 7 Permissions thing. You could try right-clicking on the shortcut and going to properties then choosing to run it as an administrator if you wish to keep it in the Program Files folder.