1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Win7 and Vista UAC requests permission on app startup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kmack, Aug 28, 2010.

1. kmack

kmack New Member

Hi,

Just set up D20Pro, and I'm loving it so far, but had a quick question: whenever I start up the app on Win7 64bit or Vista 64, User Account Control kicks in and requests permission for the app to modify the drive. It's a minor thing, since the app starts up correctly when I allow it, but was wondering if anyone knows why it's doing this or how to prevent it (other than disabling UAC, of course).

Thanks!

2. vardeman

vardeman New Member

Try installing it in a folder other than "program files" or "program files (x86)"

V

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

I installed it in a folder other than Program Files and it still gives me the "permission" window pop-up.

4. Leathermartini

Leathermartini New Member

I believe it sets itself to "run as administrator". You can alter this in the properties of the shortcut (right-click -> Properties -> Compatibility tab? ), however if you are in a Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder on Vista/7, it needs those rights as its data is stored there. If you're installed elsewhere, you should be fine.

5. cyderak

cyderak Member

It wasn't set to "Run as administrator". I even tried setting it to "Run as administrator" but that didn't do it either. Still get that annoying pop-up everytime. :x

6. djc664

djc664 Member

Currently there are no easy ways to "white list" any program to not notify you when you have UAC enabled. That capacity is simply not a part of the system, as it stands. Either it's on, or it's off, but no granular controls.

It's a point of contention, as Microsoft has code that lets it (and presumably exploitable by Malware as well) to bypass UAC for its own programs. One wonders what good it does at all, but so far I'd have to recommend UAC to be on for any user. The number of Malware and viruses that may exploit it are much smaller than the ones that don't, against which the UAC does offer some amount of protection. Additionally there are reports that say that turning UAC off makes further changes which can interfere with a number of other program's ability function correctly. It's a nasty can of worms, really.

There are other ways around it, but none of them I've tested and may be more harm than good. However, if you're so driven to distraction, perhaps you can give this a try:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/windo ... ows/?p=635

Caveat Utilitor

7. Zirhark

Zirhark New Member

I have this problem too, except mine once I click and give it permission to run doesn't run it. My comp thinks for a second and then nothing happens. I am running in windows7 64 bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8. djc664

djc664 Member

Did you set it to run as Admin?

Here are the many ways you can do this in Windows 7!

9. Zirhark

Zirhark New Member

I did do that still nothing, i have also tried not installing it in either of the program folders and to no avail.

10. Zirhark

Zirhark New Member

problem fixed