1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Exporting back to HeroLabs possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Micco, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Micco

Micco New Member

I've downloaded the trial and am looking at converting my group to d20Pro. I really like the combat management side of things a lot. While there's still some catching up to do with the vision/lighting capabilities of MapTools, I think the combat management of d20Pro has won me over.

I've been able to successfully import my Pathfinder characters from HeroLab. Is there any chance we could see a "export to HeroLab .por" feature anytime soon? That would seal the deal for me and the other DM in our group!!

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Hi Micco.

I am just one of the "users", so I have no idea if what you want is possible. However, I think the software is extremely good, easy to use; and has an exceptionally helpful staff.

Right now, the entire staff is attending "GenCon" - so if nobody gets back to you in the next few days, it isn't because they don't care. They just aren't home :)

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

No way currently to export back to herolab.

No current plans to do that either. Currently Hero Labs does not have any importing available that I know of. It would require work on both ends to accomplish that.

It is an interesting idea, but I am not sure that would be a high demand feature

4. Micco

Micco New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, I think it has come a long way since we tested at the alpha stage way back when!

I'm curious how others are using Hero Lab with d20Pro. The 'ideal model' that I am envisioning looks like more like a character repository system than a one-time character creator. I was imagining a system like this:

1) Create character in Hero Lab
    2) Import character to d20Pro for game session ("check out of repository")
    3) Play with and modify character in game session (items, XP, temporary or permanent changes)
    4) Export character back into Hero Lab ("check in to repository")
    5) Manage character (increase levels, etc.), print out updated character sheets, etc.
    6) Goto 2

So are most people just manually making the adjustments from a game session on the character in Hero Lab? Or is it a 'fire and forget' model where HL is used for creation, but the characters are 'stored' in d20Pro? I guess it is the former; if so, who do you minimize the effort & time but still ensure you keep an accurate translation?

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

Ok, I now understand about why you would want to export back into HL.

My first thoughts on it was to create a new creature, but what you are saying is to update an existing creature in Herolab, just modifying the character a little?

See now that is an idea with merit, I like the idea. Hmmmmm. I will put it on my list of possible goodies.

6. Micco

Micco New Member

Thanks for the consideration. I suppose I should move this to a feature request now. It would be very beneficial for me as the GM since I spend way too much time fixing my player's characters in my current VTT. So the prospect of being able to use Hero Lab (and Lone Wolf Development's upcoming Realmworks campaign management system) to manage the characters, while letting d20Pro manage the encounters, is sweet.

Yes. Different software products tend to be better at different things. While d20Pro looks to be an excellent encounter management tool, it is not designed to help players (or GMs) manage their characters according to the rules. In the age of increasing rule complexity and gamers with jobs, a software tool to help remove some of the character management complexity is a great boon. Hero Lab does that very well in my opinion. So I'd like to be able to seamlessly move my characters (and recurring NPCs) between the two programs to leverage their unique strengths.

I'm not sure how much data is lost in the translation from Hero Lab to d20Pro. If too much is lost, then it may not be that valuable. If we could just move items and coins between the two that would be a great start!

7. rclarke250

rclarke250 New Member

As to how my game table runs it now, is we make our characters in Hero Lab, and Then either I or my Brother who is the GM will "collect the .por files" before we settle on the game session, and acting judge imports them into the D20Pro, after deleting the previous versions, I always set them as Party, so with the dropdown, I scroll to party in library/creatures, and there they are, I set the token to use for each, and load up a map and we have fun. We use Skype in conference mode, and it works good for OOG stuff, and my Narrative of the game. Handouts, I make either a .RTF or whatever is called for, and I can then send them using Skype, to each individual, this is also how we send the .POR files. As Only my wife and I are in the house, and my brother is in another state, and other gamers, also log into our game session from their houses, One also from another state, and one in the same town. Then I send them the mod log page as a file that they print and finish out, and update hero labs with the mod, in the journal, and then they can make purchases,or level up if they have the xp. We play Pathfinder Society games. D20pro has allowed us to continue to game together, even though life has us moving around to different states, and jobs.