1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Can there be a joint server host

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CapeAndMask, Sep 9, 2010.

1. CapeAndMask

CapeAndMask New Member

Hi,

I am wondering if there can be a single server with a registered domain set up to run d20 and have various people be able to log in and be the judge.

Thanks

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

While I haven't tried this, I am reasonably certain that I could accomplish it.

I hesitate to post the solution, as I am uncertain as to how the license agreement would apply.

3. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met CapeAndMark, Thurgian,

Given the current architecture of d20Pro, the Judge starts up d20Pro and thus hosts the game. Players then specify an IP address to connect to said Judge. Based on this, I believe you could accomplish this by establishing a set domain and on the fly change which actual IP it maps to. Then whoever it's mapped to would be the endpoint for players attempting to connect to that domain.

If this is what you are envisioning, then licensing is not a problem. Whoever happens to be at the endpoint at the time would simple start up in Judge mode using their license.

Is this along the lines of what you are thinking? If not please post more information so we can delve further into the matter.

4. CapeAndMask

CapeAndMask New Member

Hi,

Well, the idea is the that I would host the server and buy it, but hand off the judging to various people on the server as they need with the set clients. I am not wanting the people from California to Spain to have to buy the judge, but use the judge on my server.

Thanks,

Cape and Mask

5. rclarke250

rclarke250 New Member

Why not install the judge license on the server, and use something like go to my pc, or hamachi to have someone else log in to the server, and start the judge session like that? The IP would stay the same as well as the port number, just need to set a password.

6. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail CapeAndMask,

That's a good suggestion from rclarke250 if you are willing to let others remote in to control you computer using GTM, LogMeIn, or the like. Or if you have an OS that lets people log in remotely you could go that route as well. In these situations, the other GMs are really using your computer.

As far as our current licensing works, this is a little bit of a gray area but I say go for it as long as only 1 game at a time is running using your license. We the d20Pro Team are all avid gamers ourselves, so seeing people enjoying d20Pro is what we're after. We feel that over time if we continue to provide a superior product that a profitable business will result, eventually. :cool: