1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Questions from a prospective buyer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jrthom1, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jrthom1

jrthom1 New Member

Greetings friends,

The DND group I am a member of for well over a year now is on the verge of splitting up due to members moving. Our main DM is one of the members. We still want to play DND. The group is looking for a good virtual gaming system. We have been looking at two programs in particular. One of these programs is Maptool, which is free, and the other is d20PRO. As the tester of the group, I have been testing both programs and there are pros and cons of each. There are several areas which is a concern to our group. If anyone has suggestions for each area, please let me know. I am only able to test so much and I might miss a few things. I have seen a lot of answers here on the forums, which is great. Let me list each:

1. Character Creation and Initiative

In MapTool, character creation depends on the framework being used, which is a huge downside. The separate tools for Initiative and the Dice Roller are downsides. The token tool is nice allowing for good customization. In d20PRO, the character creation is much smoother, but only the DM/JUDGE can create the character and then set ownership to a player. This is good and bad. The character portrait is nice. Our group is playing 3.5 Edition. We have tried 4th Edition and other things. I like the fact that Hero Forge can export characters to d20PRO (this IS a plus).

2. Map Creation (Fog of War and Line of Sight)

Our DM draws the map on a grid system. This is time consuming. In MapTool, this is done very well and reliable. In d20PRO, I only see a Fog of War adjustment. I did not see a Line of Sight modification (i.e. characters can not see through walls or trees. These are obstacles that can block view. MapTool takes this into consideration. What is the similar function in d20PRO?

3. Cost Effectiveness

MapTool is free. MapTool uses multiple tools that d20PRO only uses one. This is a huge benefit. My group consists of a DM and 4-6 players. I see you have a Player License and a DM License. Are discounts available for multiple license purchases? I will be the one purchasing for the group. We will either purchase one DM License, 4 Player Licenses, and fill the rest with Guests. or each will have a DM License. I know I am purchasing a DM license for myself (working on my own campaign purely online). Please reply as soon as possible and I do apologize for mentioning MapTool.

James

2. KainPen

KainPen Member

if you look around the forms you will find your answers already. these question have been asked many times.

i will sum up quick answer. as a user of the program dm and player.

1) Character creation can only be done under GM Client. By being GM only this prevents cheating and character altering. I put in request to have a character sheet editable by player that is currently set as owner and all changes must be confirmed by DM. similar to battle system. we may see it one day may not. if your playing 3.5 very little set up is need in d20 pro. editing for 1st and 4th and other games can be done on smaller scale. (I still find this 10 times easier to do on d20 pro then map tools)

2)map making is best done in another program, such as dunjinni or photo shop, gimp ect. you can import all png, and jpg to the system to use as maps and set your own grid the way you want spacing to be. dynamic fog of war is has been requested also and in the list of top 3 request features. have to use the current tool as is. I don't find it a problem by dynamic will speed the game up even more.

3) I find map tools to very clunky and stiff. and starting set up take a lot of time. is really easy to setup and make things on the fly. saving a ton of time. d20 pro is very sooth and worth the money espeical since more improvements come with very patch. it really all depends on how much your time is worth to you.
    The other night my group went on a huge tangent and got thru 11+ battles that i had to make on the fly. there is no way i could have got them thru 4 if i was still using books.

3. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Thanks for starting to tackle this KainPen, let me fill in a couple more things for you jrthom1:

1)Letting characters edit their sheets on the fly during the game can create quite a bit of frustration for all involved and so we went the route of allowing only the GM to edit the sheet. We understand that this adds additional burden to the GM though and adding this functionality in to the player client is something that is on our short list of features to add in the near future (hopefully). If a player has his/her own GM license they can create/edit their character any time when not connected to a game, and then upload that character to the GM just before a game session starts to take some of the work off the GM's shoulders.

2)d20Pro does not have dynamic FoW like you are talking about and yes, this is right at the top of our list for features to add. There are some very serious drawbacks to dynamic FoW though so we are working on a way to mitigate these without interrupting the flow of the game.

3)A regular GM license is $30 and allows up to 2 other computers (either remote or local) to connect to the GM's computer. Think of it as a table with 1 'chair' for the GM and 2 for the players. If you need more 'chairs' for players those are $10 each and if you buy 3 we give you a fourth one free. So, to have a total of 6 seats for your maximum group it would cost $60.

No need to worry at all about mentioning competing products. We're very confident that d20Pro is what you're looking for but we want you to be sure and so its good to check out all your options and compare them to each other. If you have any other questions at all or need some clarification please just let us know.

4. jrthom1

jrthom1 New Member

Thank you both for the replies. I can tell the support system here on the forums is superb. From what I have seen in my test drive, I do like d20PRO much more than Maptool. While MapTool is a great product, I am leading toward d20PRO.

I can see the benefits of only having a DM create characters and then transfer ownership to the players. Having a player edittable character sheet approved by the DM would be a worthwhile enhancement. This will save time in large campaigns where things happen. I also like the fact of having players with their own DM licenses just for character creation purposes. Uploading the character to the GM and then reconnecting as players would be good. If they have their own DM licenses, they might want to be a DM. This can turn into a win win situation.

The map feature FOW would also be a great enhancement. Having a line of sight function is a definate plus. This is why I like Maptool. I do have a campaign map creator. The Core Rules 2.0 Expansion Pack has a map creator. It is not the best, but it will do and I can export as an image file.

The discount you mention is excellent. Do you offer a discount on multiple DM licenses purchased by a single person? Depending on our budget (everyone has pitched in what they can), purchasing more than one DM license for character creation would ease the burdon on the sole DM license.

I am in the process of reading your forums and if I have other questions, I will definately post. Is your user manual in PDF format for ease of printing? I did not find it on the boards.

Thanks again!

James

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

The User Manual is currently only in the wiki format.

The reason for this is, we are updating the software all the time and can quickly update the website. If we had a pdf version of the user manual it would require us to also be updating the manual as well and there woudl be a new manual everytime we update the software.

We had made the decision to just do a wiki.

6. KainPen

KainPen Member

the help section on the main menu is the manual. These guys do learning tutorials to help you learn how to use the program. The program is ever changing so that why there no manual some one asked this not that along ago on the forums also.

as for line of sight there a measurement tool. I as dm question line of site for any reason i use the measurement tool starting from the character and bring it to target it if can not go strait to him with out passing object or wall. line of site is good it it has to go past wall no line of sight. if passes pillar or object give cover bonus.

7. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met jrthom1,

While there's not currently an established program for bulk license purchases, we will work with gamers on a case by case basis. Please PM me for more information if you are interested.