1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Black Maps

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by mercury00, Aug 9, 2010.

1. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met cyderak, mobius125, KainPen

First of all great to see people are able to use d20Pro on Linux. With more and more people using Linux, expect greatly improved support for it. I do admit that until now I haven't paid as much attention to Linux as I should simply because there hadn't been a demand. So I will bear your umbrage in the meantime while we get these OS specific issues straightened out! :oops:

As for the JPEG flakiness, plain old Java is at work here. Until now I haven't done anything special. Still I'll make sure the libraries in use are the latest available and if those don't cut it will move on to a 3rd party JPEG library.

In the meantime I ask you to please use PNG as it's an open standard and stable.

2. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met cyderak,

As for the maps showing up with the red question mark that is super curious. Is it possible you modified the map image files on disk after importing them in? I'm going to send you a file to unlock debugging to see if there are exceptions being thrown behind the scenes that will indicate what else could be tripping up.

3. mobius125

mobius125 New Member

Thraxxis,

Don't know if this muddies the waters or not, but I have no issues under linux on my netbook (Eeepc 901 running ubuntu 10.04 NBR) One of the players in my online group has no problems wit d20Pro under linux and is running a dual pentium III mother board that was screened in 98 (he is running two 700mhz Pentium IIIs, and yes he has no problems on his dinosaur). I have successfully used d20Pro on an old compaq laptop too (intel centrino 1.4 ghz processor from 03). My primary machine is a Mac, and things are, as usual, smooth.

After the success with two dinosaurs and a netbook it is puzzling that the old dell d600 I was going to use as a "loaner" for a local table top game is the one giving me issues (yes I know it is dinosaur in its own right). So I would say for the most part you are on track for the majority of machines that I have worked with.

I don't know what type of machines that the other folks running into the java=>jpg issues, but I would be curios if there was a either a driver or hardware commonality that would affect how things interact.

Thank You for Your support,

Mobius

4. Dabrion

Dabrion New Member

Try running this with the SUN java, on ubuntu (& other debian sequels) that is "sun-java6-jre". The openjdk has issues (slow, sluggish, bad fonts, inherent issues with ImageUtils class etc), so dont use it (for d20pro!).

If you have several jre installed, you can choose the jre with "sudo update-alternatives --config java" then choose the number of the jre you want to default to, your current selection will carry a star in front of the line.

Hope this helps

p.s.: just confirmed the bad behavior with open-jdk (im on ubuntu lucid - 64bit). when saving a custom map as jpg i even get a message box with an error refering to the "inherent writeImage method" .. my java times are long gone (thankfully) so i cannot elaborate on that error.

5. mobius125

mobius125 New Member

Dabrion,

Your solution worked wonders for 32 bit java.

Thanks a million,

Mobius

P.S.
    This is one of those silly little java things I am going to have to file a way for future reference.

6. cyderak

cyderak Member

O.k.......for all of us out there that don't know how to program or run through and edit settings, is there any way the D20Pro guys could release an .exe or something that doesn't require going into settings and screwing with things that I have no idea what they do.

7. Dabrion

Dabrion New Member

@cyderak: From brwosing down the thread I could not figure out what platform you are on and if you use the OpenJDK on that platform. Since you where talking about .exe I guestimate you are on Windows and this might not help on your part of the problem. Could you state your platform, operating system and Java Runtime Environment (jre) please?

8. cyderak

cyderak Member

Windows 7..........Java 6 Standard Edition update 17 build 1.6.0_17-bo4

9. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Cyderak ....

Please post your issue in a different thread. This issue is about JPG images (not just maps) not working correctly in a Linux client. It sounds like what you have is a corrupt file location or file resource issue on Windows. None of the reports about Linux client JPG issues mentioned anything about exclamation marks or having problems on Windows 7, if you read them before posting. Unless you're having a problem that's repeatable on several computers, not specific to a single installation, independent of system configuration, you'll want to post your question in the General Support forum, instead of Bug Reports. File resource issues, such as moving a folder or deleting a file that d20pro expects to find, can not be fixed by any updates or patches.

Mobius - thanks for the info, though it makes almost no difference what hardware you're using. JPG file structures have pretty much nothing to do with hardware, it's about the software packages on the system, and the libraries being used by the program, etc.

A minor note - Sun is dead guys. It's Oracle Java. Also, thanks for the info Dabrion. Very useful to know, I'll try my own tests too.

Of the 4 linux clients I've tried this on, they all have the issue, but they all use some form of Ubuntu as their base (10.04 at that). I never installed a java package all by itself, but probably all of them have the package ubuntu-restriced-extras installed, whichever java that installs should be on them (it has some kind of java, or the program wouldn't run at all). Also, using PNGs is no problem for me as a workaround. I don't consider this issue high priority for fixing, more of an annoyance that can be dealt with eventually.