1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Are Items able to be Re-Sized?

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by cyderak, Sep 8, 2010.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if Items could be re-sized because I have alot of awesome pics of Catapults and Carts and placeable Objects and I'd like to make items out of them but they simply won't re-size. I made them out of monster tokens and thats fine but I also have Weapon items I'd like to make into items but they always end up Smooshed from a Long weapon into a ball of smooshed pixels.

remedies???.......Fixes???.............HELP!!!.........hehehehe.....

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

Currently there is no way to resize items.

We are looking into other ways of handling items so you can resize them, and give them hardness and hit points, etc.

3. Fkewlb

Fkewlb New Member

as a bandaid solution, i created my items as monsters and use their size to augment/reduce them.

4. cyderak

cyderak Member

The only problem with that bandaid is that yuour forced to go from small to medium to large.........because items kind of exist outside of the Monster size chart, that solution is a good one but not something I can use.

I just need to be able to slightly alter the size of the item......Just so it fits in the parameters of items so you can tell what it is, instead of a ball of bunched up pixels that should look like something but don't.

5. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Having items that can be placed arbitrarily would be awesome. And extremely useful.

Right now, I have to either a) add the item to the underlying map (static) or b) cut the item up (via the gimp) into little squares, and make several items of a same name + a suffix and place them properly on the map. Very annoying.

Dungeons do have things like ladders, ropes, tables, etc, that are larger than 1 square or are not positioned exactly in the middle of a square, after all. Being able to actually represent those things in d20 would make my job a lot easier. Since, I have to put them there anyway. Either that or I have to tell my players, hey guys, there's an invisible table in the room, and an invisible chest spanning two squares, and a bunch of other invisible non-static objects...

6. Dabrion

Dabrion New Member

If I get your issue right here, images that you import from your hard drive and look fine there appear ugly and esp. streched in the game client. Maybe that is because the client needs to map that image onto a quadratic tile. So any non-quadratic image will be streched and look extremely ugly on the map (given the constrained pixel space and the presumably bad interpolation from the java libs). I suggest enforcing your images you use for items to be quadratic in the first place, frex by placing them onto a quadratic canvas using a graphics software like GIMP.

Maybe there could be a checkable option in the client when you import an image (esp. for items), that allows to place it on top of a quadratic canvas of size max(x,y) + margin and chooseable color.

7. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Just to be argumentative, if not a purist.

You can indeed resize items. You just can't use the item tool to do it.

If you use the graphic tool, to place an object, you can then use that tool to custom adjust the size of the tile/object just placed. Granted, the options are in increments of 1 square; but you can change things to a wide range of # x # squares, as well as rotate and copy the object.

8. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

Thurgian ... Uggghh. That's very... inelegant. Still, I think it works a little better and more elegantly than my solution with cutting items up into 1x1 squares. But... ugggh. So, if the functionality is there for tiles, what's preventing this same functionality from porting to items? Why not just promote items to have the particular features we want that tiles already have (minus the whole 'being a tile' thing, where they have to exist in this particular way and be brought into the game like painting tiles)?

Cyderak... I think what you want to prevent your images from becoming 'smooshed' is to use the config crop button before importing an image. Be sure your crop is a perfect square. Otherwise, the image will be stretched to fit the dimensions of a perfect square. For instance, if you import an image 2 pixels by 1 pixel (a very small image, really), you'll get a square where the top half is one pixel, the bottom half the other pixel, instead of the 2x1 rectangle you started out with. So, in this case, you'd want to config crop a 2x2 square (at least). What I always do is type in the largest pixel dimension on the initial size field when config cropping an image (and keep the 'keep square' box checked). The config crop button lets you define the 'actual' square edges of an image, so that images that aren't already square don't get re-sized into squares.