1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Trial License Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NayusDante, Oct 9, 2010.

1. NayusDante

NayusDante New Member

I started my trial day before yesterday, and it worked fine. Yesterday and today, however, I can't authenticate my license. Is the server down? If I buy a license, does it need to connect and authenticate every time I run the program?

2. Spidey

Spidey New Member

I'm having the same problem, so hopefully it's just the verification server. However I would like to have some confidence in the reliability of licence verification when I buy a full licence...

3. The Grim Mackay

The Grim Mackay New Member

I have also been unable to verify the trial license. The IP address of the server appears to be unPINGable.

This fails to inspire confidence...

4. Spidey

Spidey New Member

I have a feeling that this is unfortunately the case.

5. NayusDante

NayusDante New Member

Well, I was looking into it last night and you don't need to verify once you purchase a license. The trial just needs to call in to see how many days you have left. Once you buy, your license is stored locally.

Has anyone emailed support yet? If nobody on staff replies here, that's probably what we need to do.

6. Spidey

Spidey New Member

That is reassuring, thanks.

7. NayusDante

NayusDante New Member

I just bought my license anyway, and I'm back in the program. I forgot to put in the GenCon2010 coupon though... Whoops.

Since there's certainly a group of new users here, I'd like to see if they'd do another tutorial session once the trial server is back up.

8. The Grim Mackay

I emailed the address given in the error message yesterday (info at mindgene dot com), but have received no reply. I have not been able to experiment with the trial, because of this. It is gratifying to know a licensed version will not be subject to this problem - but it is frustrating that a commercial software package does not respond to either their own forums or emails when they have a problem that is blocking users.

This makes me inclined to look elsewhere. Most unfortunate.

9. NayusDante

NayusDante New Member

Keep in mind that it's the weekend, and it's only the trial server. If you ask nicely, maybe they'll extend your trial or something.

10. The Grim Mackay

:roll: Not to put too fine a point on it, but being the weekend really shouldn't matter - I'm going to leap to the conclusion that the developers actually expect you to look at their product over the weekend. I write commercial software for a living, have for decades, and with the sales for money comes the responsibility for support - you can only get away with this sort of inattention when you are doing it for free.
    I don't think it unreasonable that a company that makes its income from a commercial software distribution have a discipline that checks in periodically to assure that everything is running ok. And is responsive when it is not.

11. vardeman

vardeman New Member

Give the devs a break, eh? They're probably at RinCon right now. They do visit the boards very frequently and I'm sure your concerns will be answered soon. You've given them barely a day since the original post. If you check the other threads, you can see that they are typically quite responsive.

V

12. ogexam

ogexam Member

Sorry to hear about the issues some people are having.

The d20Pro Live server was moved this weekend, I am not sure at what time, but it may have been while you were trying to get the trial license to work. So I do apologise for this. It should be up and runng now. If not I will get ahold of Matt to find out what is going on. The person in charge of that section got married on Friday and is on his honeymoon right now so sorry for the slow response.

Once a license is bought you will no longer need to access the d20Pro Live server, the license file is stored locally.

Since you were having issues with your trial version getting started I am sure Matt can extend the trial time if you would like.

Are you still unable to access the software with the trial license?

13. The Grim Mackay

Unfortunately, yes.

The errors are the same as I posted this weekend. The IP address in the error message remains unPINGable.

Thank you for your attention.

14. Spidey

Spidey New Member

A good point there.

They don't have my money yet either, and the full licence doesn't require verification each time, so I can understand why less/no resource is given to the trial server. Having said that, the company I work for gives significant technical support in anticipation of a sales contract...

15. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

All, I apologize for the delay in response. I would be the one normally to handle this but I've been off the grid for the past few days. I should have assumed something would happen while I was away and I will do better at not letting the servers know I'm gone in the future. :oops:

I believe I've found the problem and I'm working to get it fixed now. I will post back in this thread when things are back up and working. At that time I'll get trials extended for all those who need them.

16. The Grim Mackay

Another day. Still no response from the trial verification server...

17. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Again, I apologize for this inconvenience. I have not been able to get things back up and working yet and I will post back in this thread when there is more to report. Thank you for your patience.

18. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met The Grim Mackay, spidey and others test driving d20Pro,

As Daggeth and ogexam have stated we are in the process of relocating our server to Colorado as it used to be in Boston (where I used to live and another developer lived, until he got married this weekend and is driving across the country right now). So we have the main license server on a temporary home in the meantime.

The trial license server should have moved to the temporary home as well, but we failed to do so and now look like newbs as a result. :oops: As gamers first and foremost, we deeply regret this inconvenience to our fellow gamers. I feel our track record for customer service is superior and hopefully everyone will perceive this as an anomaly and something we feel terrible about letting happen.

So the trial license server will be back up by Monday, if not before. As a means to make amends all trials will be extended 30 days. Please contact me via PM if you wish to discuss the situation further. We will update this thread as soon as the trial server is back in action.

19. Spidey

Spidey New Member

Thanks for the welcome and the update thraxxis, I'll continue to try connecting. I hope to buy a full licenec before long anyway, as what I did manage to see was very good. Good work :)

20. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

All

Trial Licenses should be working again as of 10/15. Please let us know if you have any further problems. Anyone who needs to have their license reset so they can get their full 30days of testing please let us know and we will take care of it for you.

Thank you all for your patience with this issue.