1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

map makeing software.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by KainPen, Aug 18, 2010.

1. KainPen

KainPen Member

you guys should make real mapping software also.
    you all understand players and GM needs. every single mapping program out there is way to complex to use to make high detail. Much like how all other VT are a lot harder to use then d20pro.

you guys know how to make things simpler and easy to use and flow. well So i think you guy should make and sell your own mapping software. Dunjinni is ok and easy to use some what. but it lack precision. when you go to stamp flooring down in a grid square it is off by a good bit. it look like it lacks layering also. unless some one can tell me how to stick object and roof on top of walls. it also very limited in number of square. So I am saying take your current mapping in d20 and advance it more and make it separate program. lol if you can't tell i am really frustrated trying convert some really old map to high res ones with color and textures. the ability to re-size objects would be nice on mapping program to.

ps. If anyone has any mapping exp and feel like giving me a hand i have 3 or 4 town style and 1 keep maps that need to be done while i am working on my 3 level
    mnt dungeon that is that is 156 square wide 204 in length each level.

2. cyderak

cyderak Member

Map Making Software that come complete with high resolution Placeable map sections and Objects. Not software where you have to basically create your own graphics.

3. geal'k

geal'k New Member

THAT WOULD BE THE GREATEST THING I CAN THINK OF. its absolutely what GM's need. I do not have time to make anything but the simplest of maps for my games...let alone graphically intensive maps for my players

4. NayusDante

NayusDante New Member

Just use Tile Studio. It's designed for tile-based video game development, and you can export images of your maps in PNG or whatever.

[​IMG]

If you don't mind the art style, there's a plethora of ripped game tiles that you can find in the RPG Maker community. If you want generic art that fits the D&D aesthetic, there's a nice tileset over at Lost Garden. In fact, Lost Garden has a good variety of free tiles. The only caveat is that they're mostly drawn at 3/4 perspective, not top-down.

Of course, you'll have to format them properly, they have funny offsets. I compiled a moderately complete outdoor tileset from the Lost garden assets (mainly Hard Vacuum), if that would be of any help.

[​IMG]

5. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I actually utilize another product to draw my maps, develop my plotlines, and determine my monster groups and treasure parcels.

While a more robust Mapping system might be desirable, many good (and even free) mapping programs already exist. With development time and resources being limited, I would prefer that they direct their efforts more towards improving the features of the VTT portion of the product.

Just my opinion. YMMV