1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Updating players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaveCampbell, Oct 19, 2010.

1. DaveCampbell

DaveCampbell New Member

First off, coming up on our fifth session running Pathfinder using d20 Pro. There is myself as DM and seven players, each with laptops, all playing face to face. The system has been INCREADIBLE for speeding up every aspect of the game. Those that were originally of the opinion "I'll never roll a die thats not hitting the table" are now doing everything through the system. Last week, when a sitter fell through for one user, he was still able to connect and play at home.

Awesome, just awesome.

Now for my question: Of course, all player have just hit Level 2. We are using HeroLabs to manage charactors, and inputed them as part of a HeroLab export. There was a minor annoyance when we learned that the portrait did not copy over, but I just re-imported the image and it was good to go.

From here, how can I easily upgrade the players once they have leveled in HeroLab? Do I need to delete them, re-import, and re-affix the artwork? Or is there a simpler way to update them?

But, bottom line, loving the system!

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

When you reimport the characters you will need to do the portrait each time.

As for deleting the old ones, I would just append a level name and just the most recent for play. That way you have level X fighter if you ever need one for a one nighter.

If you import a creature and there is already one of the same name in the library the importer just appends a number to the name.

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

Glad to hear you and your players are enjoying d20Pro!

4. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

I am currently running 2 games and that is what I do. It is kind of a pain in the butt to go through and redo all the special abilities like channel energy or the domain abilities or wizard or sorcerer abilities but it gets easier each time you do it. My Friday group is lvl3 and my Sunday group is lvl5.

5. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I typically keep my players "out and about" for weeks/months at a time. This often results in them gaining a level while away from civilization as it were.

In our world, players only advance - when they can find someone to actually train them (exceptions exist of course). One of their upcoming quests will include finding epic level trainers.

What this means in play terms.

On even levels, characters get more health, more BAB, etc. (Things that only require a few second per character, to revise).

On odd levels, we do a full import of each character and go through the entire customization process.

This has the added benefit of also saving paper ...

YMMV

6. DaveCampbell

DaveCampbell New Member

Good stuff; thanks everyone! I really like keeping them onhand as level 1 mooks; I need a good repository for NPCs, and that will fit the bill....

7. DaveCampbell

DaveCampbell New Member

Yep; took five minutes of work to update; nd nowI have a growing stable of mooks.... thanks!