1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Lag & Stability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Demogorgon, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Demogorgon

Demogorgon New Member

Hi,

I have a few questions about d20pro.

How many players does d20pro support?
    Does d20pro ever experience lag issues? If it does what happens?
    Does the game crash alot?

The reason I'm asking is that I currently play online using another system and the lag is almost unberable. When one player has a bad ms the entire game lags for everyone. Needless to say this has ruined my experience gaming online.

I'm looking for another system to use and I saw that d20pro might be a good option.

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

First, a clarification.

D20PRO is not a game. It is a tool that assists you in playing your game.

I have had 5 clients (and the judge) running at once; (someone just posted that their group consists of 7 players) and haven't encountered any system slow downs.

Also, while I have encountered some stability issues with very complex maps (over 6000 monsters and an extremely large and high resolution map), I think you will find that D20PRO performs exceptionally well - if you limit yourself to more realistic situations.

3. Demogorgon

Demogorgon New Member

Thanks

At the moment my group is using Fg2 and the lag is just horific. Sometimes the chat window doesn't update for more than 5 mins. Needless to say the game isn't playable sometimes. I realize that d20pro doesn't have all the charactersheet features, but if it is stable then perhaps that is the best option for my game.

one other question. How does d20Pro share maps? In Fg2 I usually have to keep the maps to around 200k. With 7 players it can take a while for the maps to arive.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

You won't have a 5 minute wait on things in d20Pro. Even if you have a large map say a 4meg map then players get gray boxes for the map as it loads, but you can see wall, doors, and creatures just fine. I have used pretty large maps and those only take at most 20 to 30 seconds to load, guess it depends on your connection speed.

d20Pro is very stable, I have not had it crash on me in years. If you exceed your the memory limit for the computer it will slow to a crawl, but so does teh whole coming. I have laptops that have only 512M and if I open up a bunch of maps and use 600mb of memory it is slow, but still functions. AT that point it is a hardware not software issue.

When it lags once your system catches up all the movement occurs.

I say give us a try, get a trial licnese and set it through its paces. I am sure you will come to love d20Pro.

5. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

I'll just chime in on the subject of d20Pro lag and say that I've been part of a game with 10-12 machines connected, both locally and remotely, without having any real lag problems.

I will say though that I think there is a definite possibility that there are other factors besides whatever VTT you're using that might be contributing to your lag. I'm certainly not a FG dev but I'm really surprised that the lag would be that bad with it. I'd take a little time and see if you might be able to track down anything else on your hardware/connection or the other player's hardware/connection to see if you can find something that might be causing this. Nothing we'd like more than a new user converted from a competing product honestly, but there's nothing we'd like less than for you to purchase d20Pro and find out you have the same problems.

I'd definitely recommend you and your group give our free trial a run through to make sure the lag problems don't persist. If you do still have problems with lag using d20Pro pop back in here and let us know and maybe we can help you work it out.