1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

I have a connection issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob117, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Rob117

Rob117 New Member

So, I'm living in particular city in Japan. My friend is living in a different city in Japan. We both terribly missed pathfinder, so we downloaded the trial for d20 pro. It looks great, but the issue is we can't connect to each other (I judge, she tries to connect). I read the issues about port forwarding and thought that maybe since she played from college that port forwarding could have been the issue. However, since we both play World of Warcraft with no problem, I decided that if we use one of the ports that Warcraft uses (without warcraft being open, of course) that the program might work.

However, even after changing to this port that I am sure remains open, I still find her unable to connect to my game. I'd really appreciate any help. I've already convinced my friends back home that if we can get this to work here that we'll be playing overseas as well for sure.

Please assist, and thank you for your time. :)

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I would have the person who is hosting the session goto canyouseeme.org and enter in the port you are using to see if a signal can be received by the Judge's computer. The default port is 10101. In most cases, when people are unable to connect, it is due to the Judge's network connection.

The alternative reason why the player is unable to connect is they have mis-typed in some information (IP or Port). Try double checking the IP address (displayed on canyouseeme.org ) and the correct port number.

Good Luck!

3. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Thank you edwardcd for a good suggestion there, let us know what the results are Rob117.

4. Rob117

Rob117 New Member

So, after a long, long time, I got this sorted out.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. Even though I thought my ports were open, it turns out that they definitely were not thanks to that site you recommended. It didn't solve my issue, but it put me on the path in the right direction. After a few hours fiddling with a very frustrating Japanese router and a lot of computer programs, we're in business.

I have some other questions though. I realize this is off topic, but I'd really like to get them answered and I don't think they're large enough to merit their own thread, so here we go:

Do you know of any programs that might allow me to create handouts? For example (specifically) a program that would allow me to pick a font and write words on a parchment background or a newspaper-ish template?

The second question is a little bit more involved. Is it possible if I buy hero lab to make changes to the characters in d20 pro and then re-port it back to Hero Lab? My concern is that according to a post I read here players cannot edit their own character sheets (how can they see the sheets of characters they control, by the way?). I would like for them to be able to level their own sheets. I enjoy Hero Labs and would like to buy it for myself but to be completely honest the price is steep for that level of software and I don't feel comfortable asking my players to buy it so they can update their sheets after every session and then re-export them to me so I can upload the new ones at the beginning of every play session/after every level-up.

Sorry for that chunk of text. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I apologize for any errors.

5. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I am pretty sure you can use MS Word and get the parchment look and add your own (or found) fonts. I have co-workers that use background templates for their email.

As for Hero Labs, you cannot import back to HL after it goes to D20Pro. You will need to update the characters in HL and then move them back to D20Pro. Technically you can manage the characters in D20Pro to some extent, just not all of the bells and whistles of Hero Lab. I am currently doing just that, porting to D20Pro file extensions from HL and updating in HL after a game session; wash, rinse, & repeat.

6. Rob117

Rob117 New Member

Thank you for your prompt response. I had thought about MS word backgrounds and watermarks. I suppose something is better than nothing, right?

As for the Hero Labs: I noticed that the software costs essentially $30 and can only be used on two computers. This means that my friends may be unable to purchase the software to update their characters (one of them has been unemployed for a long while, one is studying abroad with me overseas and money is tight, and the last is a jobless college student). Does that mean that if I buy the software I will have to update all of the stats, items, special powers, traits, bonuses and penalties, money amounts, companions, and other items for all of my players in my own copy of Hero Labs for them, and then export it to myself in d20Prr? Is there some kind of easier way? Also, do characters in d20Pro have the ability to see their own sheets (not change, but see) in the middle of the game? How would one accomplish this?

Thank you for your time.

7. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Their characters in D20Pro are "manageable". You can edit them just like any monster or NPC. Players cannot change their characters, the DM must do it. Ultimately, you will have to edit these changes in Hero Labs and then Import them back into (and copy over) the old character in D20Pro. The main difference between Modding in D20Pro and HL, is that HL is "smart" and automated to let you know when you have rule conflicts and other things. D20Pro will generally accept what ever you tell it to accept, and will not calculate xp-to-level for you and tell you to level up, or whether you have too many feats and such. For me, I do not consider it to be a big deal to go back and forth this way. I have the characters in D20Pro at my disposal, and it allows me to know exactly what the characters have, and can do. No more "don't you remember when you gave me that Wand of Fireballs 5 months ago" when it was never given, or should have less charges. Not that this happens often, but it is nice to be able to track. You could have the players (or you) ad a number value in the character name, and this way you can have a copy of each character at each level for reference. It is only 1's and 0's anyway. I have this using Heroforge (before I got Hero Lab) for my local game, and I have my characters at every level. I actually have my players first build their characters using a 3.75 generator I found on line, they send me a screen shot, and I build and send it back to them as a PFD from HL. It works out well considering only one of my players is local.

So it is a little work, but a lot less than if I was running this on paper (as I always try to remind myself).

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I saw this question asked twice, so I should respond.

Question: Can players see their own d20Pro character sheet?

Answer: Yes.

Here's how...

First, have the player select their character.
    Mac - triple click to bring up the menu
    Windows - right-click to bring up the menu

Next, select "View" from the menu. Alternatively, the player can select their character and press the "e" button on their keyboard.
    [​IMG]

The character view in this style is the exact one the Judges see with one exception, players do not have the ability to change details on their character sheet. However, the player can use this character sheet to perfrom the following: Skill checks (from the skills tab), cast spells (from the spell tab), or use abilities (from the abilities tab).

To perform a skill check, simply click on the die icon to the left of the skill you wish to use on the skills tab.
    To cast a spell, simply double click on the spell you wish to cast that is listed on the spell tab.
    To use an ability, simply single click on the ability you wish to use listed on ability tab.